No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

PFG guards killed in Mabruk oilfield attack, Filipinos abducted

byMichel Cousins
February 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
PFG guards killed in Mabruk oilfield attack, Filipinos abducted

Facilities at Mabruk oilfield (Photo: Mabruk Oil)

Facilities at Mabruk oilfield (Photo: Mabruk Oil)
Facilities . . .[restrict]at Mabruk oilfield (Photo: Mabruk Oil)

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli/Kufra, 4 February 2015:

An armed group yesterday afternoon attacked the Mabruk oilfield some 170 kilometres southeast of Sirte, killing four Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) and sezing three Filipino workers, according to a local oil industry source.

The attackers claimed to be members of the Islamic State (IS), the source told the Libya Herald. “They gave a religious speech” before leaving, he said, adding that the attack started around 2 pm.

The spokesman for Central PFG, Ali Al-Hassi, confirmed the attack but had no details on the kidnapping of the foreigners.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The oilfield, operated by Mabruk, a joint venture between the National Oil Corporation, France’s Total and Norway’s Statoil, has not been pumping for several months because of the closure of Sidra oil terminal. However, there were some 60 staff, contractors and guards at the field, maintaining and protecting the facilities.

Following the attack, 42 members of staff and two guards were being flown today to Tripoli and were due to arrive this evening, according to the source. “They are all safe,” he said adding that three Nigerean contracted staff were missing and may still be at the site. He thought that they had hidden during the attack but could not be found afterwards.

Reports that a Frenchman was among those seized are untrue, a Total official told this newspaper. There were no French citizens at the site. All had left last year.

Whether or not IS is responsible, its supporters are said to now be operating freely in the wider area, in particular in Sirte, and have been accused of being responsible for a number of deadly attacks and kidnappings there.

In December, 14 soldiers guarding the town’s Khaleej power station were murdered in an attack attributed to Islamists. A month ago, some 19 people, mostly LNA soldiers, were murdered at a military post in neighbouring Jufra district; the attacks has also been blamed on IS.

IS has also claimed responsibility for the abduction of a number of Egyptian Christians in Sirte.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredIslamic StateLibyaMabrouk OilTotal

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Hafter appointment as commander "untrue": Chairman of HoR Defence Committee

Heavy fighting continues at Sidra; UNSMIL condemns Operation Sunrise attack

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.