No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni praises Benghazi operation as at least 12 are reported killed in clashes

byCallum Paton
October 16, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim and Adam Ali.

Abdullah Al-Thinni (Photo: Social Media)
Abdullah Al-Thinni (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 16 October 2014:

Interim Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni lauded the efforts of Operation Dignity following the . . .[restrict]largest gains by pro-government forces in months.

Speaking on Sky News Arabia yesterday, Thinni said the campaign by Dignity forces in Benghazi and its support from the people were a reaction to terrorism and the desire of young people to protect their neighbourhoods.

The Prime Minister said the routing of Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shura Council (BRSC) positions and operations in the aftermath of yesterday’s fighting were all part of a plan, devised by the state and executed by the Chief of Staff Abdul Razzaq Nazhuri.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Thinni explained that following the appointment of Nazhuri in August now all pro-government forces including Operation Dignity were under the umbrella of the state, as part of the Libyan National Army (LNA).

In the aftermath of the day’s fighting sources at Benghazi Medical Centre told the Libya Herald that at least 12 individuals had been killed in the clashes. Medical staff at the hospital, which is the closest to where the worst of the battles took place, explained that they would not disclose whether the bodies they had received were civilians or combatants, or from which side of the conflict.

Other casualties may have been taken to medical facilities in Al-Abyar and Marj which have long been held by pro-government forces.

Operation Dignity has claimed that BRSC losses far exceeded their own. Mohamed Al-Hejezi, spokesman for Dignity Forces, told this newspaper that as many as 30 or even 40 members of Ansar were killed in the fighting.

These numbers were not confirmed by any other source.

However, Hejazi did say that 18 members of pro-government forces had been recovered from a juvenile correctional facility in Habba where they were being held by BRSC. The spokesman said some of them had been held in captivity for several months.

The Commander of Operation Dignity’s Airforce, Adam Saqr Geroushi, confirmed that Ibrahim Al-Tawati, a BRSC commander and the leader of the Raafallah Al-Fahati Brigade, was captured in Tolmeitha some 60 kilometres from Bengahzi after he fled the fighting. Geroushi said that Tawati had been apprehended by local security forces supported by Tolmeitha residents.

Benghazi has, for the most part, been quiet (although not completely) following yesterday’s attacks – with the exception of the Laithi district which has been sympathetic to Islamist forces. Shelling and gunfire could be heard there long into the night, residents claimed.

Further army units continued to pour into Benghazi throughout the day. One resident described them as “legions of troops”.

It has been claimed by the LNA that it now has 10,000 men at its disposal in the east of the country.

Another local, from Hadaiq, said he had spoken to different members of two battalions entering the city and said their morale was high. He added that he did not think BRSC had the power on the ground or the necessary equipment or resolve to regain the ground they had lost. “Their flags and banners are gone from the city,” he said. “They have been attacked to the point that they have no presence here.” [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinniBenghaziclashesfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Authorities rush to deny Egyptian involvement in Benghazi airstrikes

Authorities rush to deny Egyptian involvement in Benghazi airstrikes

Tripoli-based deputy ministers working with Omar Al-Hassi targeted by Thinni

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

LFB recovering funds in several locations secretly to protect the funds and process: LFB Chairman Addarrat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.