No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR changes the guard

byMichel Cousins
January 5, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tobruk, 5 January 2015:

The House of Representatives met in session today in Tobruk’s navy base to discuss its . . .[restrict]security and that of its members. In the absence of the President of the HoR, Ageela Salah Gwaider, who was in Cairo for the special Arab League meeting on Libya and to meet Egyptian President Abdel Fatah El-Sisi, nothing was formally decided.

It was the House’s first meeting since the car bomb explosion six days ago outside the Dar Al-Salam hotel where it has, until now, been holding its sessions.  Normally, the HoR meets on Sundays and Tuesdays.  However, because of the attack and change of venue, yesterday’s meeting was postponed.  In any event, journalists were not allowed in to cover today’s discussions – because, according to members, since its internal security was the issue, it was not a formal session.

One change, however, was noticeable. Security, previously in the hands of a private company, is now provided by the army. It follows a request from the HoR to the Chief of Staff, Major-General Abdul Razzaq Nazhuri, late last week, to take it over.

RELATED POSTS

Two Libyans and five expatriates detained for deliberately falsifying civil status data in Tobruk

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

It had been suggested last week that the latest session would discuss the possibility of replacing Nazhuri with General Khalifa Hafter. In the event, this is now viewed as a decision for the HoR’s president and at the end of last week, Gwaider signed a decree reinstalling 129 army officers, including Hafter, who had reached retirement age and Saqr Adam Geroushi the head of the LNA’s air force.

Not all those reinstated are retirees. Many of are said to be senior former regime officers removed by the Political isolation Law. “Their experience is needed” in the present crisis, a senior army official said.

  [/restrict]

Tags: House of RepresentativesLibyaTobruk

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Libya tells Arab League the army needs weapons

Libya tells Arab League the army needs weapons

Libya imposes restrictions on visas to Maltese for providing logistic support to Libya Dawn

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.