No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC president Abu Sahmain says he will meet HoR’s Ageela Salah

byMichel Cousins
December 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

HoR and GNC presidents Salah and Abusahmain are reported to be planning a first ever face to face meeting (Photo: Social media).
HoR and GNC presidents Salah and Abu Sahmain are reported to be planning a first ever face-to-face meeting (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli/Tunis, 7 December 2015:

General National Congress (GNC) president Nuri Abu Sahmain says he plans to meet with the . . .[restrict]House of Representatives (HoR) president, Ageela Salah Gwaider. Speaking to Al Nabaa TV today, he said he hoped it would be a success encounter.

However, HoR members who back UN-brokered Libya Dialogue deal and the proposed Government of National Accord say that Salah Gwaider has not been authorised to talk to Abu Sahmain and that there can be no meeting until the GNC accept certain conditions.

Rumours of a meeting have been rife since an informal gathering of a number of eastern Libyan members from both the HoR and GNC in Tunis last week proposed the two presidents meet. Following this, a number of HoR members agreed, again informally, that an invitation should be sent to Abu Sahmain to meet with Salah Gwaider.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Further impetus was provided by Saturday’s agreement in Tunis between delegations from both bodies that a committee with five members from each side appoint a prime minister and two deputy prime minister within two weeks of its first meeting. It would also amend the 1963 constitution so it can used as a temporary measure. The Deputy GNC president Awad Abdul Saddeq, who lead the GNC delegation told the Libya Herald yesterday that Abu Sahmain fully approved the deal.

It, though, has also antagonised those HoR members supporting the Libya Dialogue agreement and that GNA.

In their statement released today, they said they rejected Saturday’s Tunis deal and were sticking to the UN one.

“We, HoR members, agree on the political agreement of the UN-brokered dialogue in Skhirat and the Fezzan Initiative made by some law-makers from the south. We reject any meetings intended to thwart or disrupt the path of dialogue brokered by UN”, a statement from them read.

They also called Ageela Salah to come clean about any planned meeting with Abu Sahmain. It was not authorised by the HoR and could only happen if the GNC accepted a number of points, the statement said. These were that there was terrorism in Libya which had to be fought, that the Libyan National Army was doing just that in Benghazi, that its legitimacy could not be questioned, and that all support for the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council had to stop.

No names were put to the statement although one HoR member said it was backed by some 90 of his colleagues. A fortnight ago, 92 members signed a statement supporting the GNA and Libya Dialogue deal.

Ageela Salah’s views on the deal and any meeting with Abu Sahmain are unknown. However, this newspaper was told by an HoR official that he had approved the HoR team going to Tunis to discuss a settlement with the GNC group.

Meanwhile, in a bid to keep the HoR and GNC on track with the Libya Dialogue deal, UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler flew hurredly back to Tunis to meet the HoR and GNC teams responsible for Saturday’s agreement and who were still in the Tunisian capital. In a tweet, he later said that there had been “candid talks” with them and that he had “urged them to join majority of Libyans” and approve the Libya Dialogue deal. [/restrict]

Tags: Ageela Salah GwaiderfeaturedGeneral National CongressHouse of RepresentativesLibyaNuri Abu Sahmain

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Fresh air strikes on Ajdabiya, following latest killings; Derna and Benghazi also again targeted

Jordan to introduce visas for Libyans

Jordan to introduce visas for Libyans

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.