No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR Cyrenaica block reject latest constitution draft

bySami Zaptia
February 21, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
HoR Cyrenaica block reject latest constitution draft

The 18-member HoR Cyrenaica block have rejected the latest draft of the constitution (Photo: HoR).

By Sami Zaptia.

The 18-member HoR Cyrenaica block have rejected the latest draft of the constitution (Photo: HoR).
The 18-member HoR Cyrenaica block have rejected the latest draft of the constitution (Photo: HoR).

London, 21 February 2018:

The Cyrenaica (Barqa) block of 18 members within the House of Representatives (HoR) have rejected the latest draft of the constitution to be discussed and voted on by the HoR.

In a video statement released yesterday, the block said that they oppose the holding of a referendum on the draft before the HoR and reject the legality of the whole Constitutional Drafting Authority (CDA). They interpreted the Tripoli High Court decision as having annulled the proceedings of the CDA. They, therefore do not see that the court decision has cleared the way forward for a vote on the latest draft. To this end, they called for an amended version of the Libya’s old royalist constitution to be adopted with some minor amendments.

The HoR Cyrenaica block were reacting to last week’s Tripoli High Court decision to overturn a Beida court ruling preventing the HoR from voting on the latest constitution draft and putting it forward for a public referendum.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/02/15/supreme-court-rules-that-its-not-within-jurisdiction-of-beida-court-to-rule-on-constitutional-affairs-clears-way-for-hor-to-legislate-for-a-referendum/

 

The Cyrenaica block said that they had no confidence in any Tripoli-based institutions and referred to the HoR decision to transfer the High Court from Tripoli to Beida. They raised questions about irregularities in the National ID Number system and they also called for the High National Election Commission (HNEC) to be transferred to the east of Libya and for its members to be reselected.

On another note, reacting to a recent television interview by former General National Congress (the former parliament from 2012 to 2014) head Nuri Abu Sahmain, where he seemed to admit that militias in eastern Libya classified as terrorists by eastern powers were supported from Tripoli, the Cyrenaica block called for an investigation into the matter.

Finally, the Cyrenaica block objected to the continued systematic injustice, lack of equitable distribution of opportunities and of oil wealth, most of which is produced in the eastern region, to their region.

 

The statement by the 18-member HoR Cyrenaica block rejecting the latest constitution draft (Source: HoR).
The statement by the 18-member HoR Cyrenaica block rejecting the latest constitution draft (Source: HoR).
Tags: constituon drafting authority CDAfeaturedGNC Nuri Abu SahmainHNECHoR House of RepresentativesNational ID Numberreferendumterrorism

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Jordan does away with visas for all Libyan females and males aged under 15 and over 50

Court overrules suspension of eastern Health Minister by Interim Government

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.