No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Constitutional assembly candidates being registered – deadlne extended till end of November

byMichel Cousins
October 22, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 21 October 2013:

Since nominations opened on 6 October for the elections to the 60-member assembly which is to . . .[restrict]devise Libya’s new constitution, 133 have so far been received.

At a press conference today, the head of the High National Election Commission (HNEC), Nuri Elabbar, said that of these, 33 so far – 30 men and 3 women – had been approved after checking with the Political Isolation Law Standards Authority. Ninety-eight candidates still needed to be vetted, he added, among them eight women and six Tebus and Tuaregs. No candidates, however, from the three ethnic minorities – Amazigh, Tebus, and Tuaregs ­– had so far been registered, he disclosed.

The deadline for nominations was to be tomorrow, he added, but had been extended until the end of the month to take account of the Eid holiday break.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In addition to six of the assembly seats reserved for women, two each have also been reserved for the three ethnic minorities even though their numbers differ massively. The number of Amazigh in Libya is estimated at anything between 150,000 and 500,000  while the number of Tebus is put at around 15,000. Not that numerical balance is an objective in electing the assembly.  Of the 60 seats, 20 will be drawn from each of the three historic provinces of Tripolitania, Cyrenaica and Fezzan,  even though there are massive differences in their population sizes.

Given the low number of Tuareg and Tebu candidates, and none at all from the Amazigh, Elabbar today called for more to register.

However, in June, the Supreme Amazigh Council, along with the Supreme Tuareg Council and the Tebu National Assembly, threatened to boycott the poll if they were not given more than two seats each.

Two months ago, moreover, Congress was stormed by dozens of young Amazigh after  hundreds of others protested outside the building against the law allocating the seats .

HNEC is following the lead of the Central Committee for Municipal Councils Elections (CCMCE) headed by Otman Gajiji by having would-be voters use their mobile phones to text  their National ID number followed by their election district number to register.  HNEC would shortly announce the individual number of each electoral district, Ellabar said. Registration would then start “within days”.

Libyans living in 13 countries abroad will be able to take part in the elections: Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Turkey, Italy, Germany, UK, Ireland, Canada and the USA.  The commission was collaborating with the UN’s International Organisation  for Migration to organise the poll in these countries, Ellaber said.

HNEC is also to launch a campaign to increase awareness about voter registration, he said.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Constitutional CommissionHigh National Election CommissionHNECLibyaNuri Elabbar

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Al-Ahly players decide to resume League games

BREAKING NEWS: Arrest of Benghazi murder campaign suspects

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.