No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Over 200 families displaced in recent Murzuk fighting

bySami Zaptia
December 13, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Over 200 families displaced in recent Murzuk fighting

By Sami Zaptia.

IMG_20190227_165347

London, 27 February 2019:

In its flash report on the situation, the International Organizations for Migration (IOM), said that a large number of families had been displaced as a result of the recent fighting in Murzuk.

The report said that between 22 and 24 February 2019, at least 200 families were displaced from Murzuk to Qatrun as the security situation became increasingly tense in Murzuk and surrounding areas over the past week.

RELATED POSTS

IOM reports 928,839 migrants identified across Libya in 2025

22,509 migrants intercepted at sea and returned to Libya so far in 2025 – already more than the 21,762 intercepted for all of 2024

It added that reportedly, IDP families are staying with relatives and host families.

It said that reported priority needs of the displaced families include medical supplies, particularly for chronic diseases such as diabetes, as well as food and non-food Items (blankets, mattresses, clothes, hygiene kits, and diapers).

 

The IOM reports that there are over 200 families displaced from Murzuk and forced south to Qatrun as a result of the recent fighting (Google Maps).
The IOM reports that there are over 200 families displaced from Murzuk and forced south to Qatrun as a result of the recent fighting (Google Maps).

 

It will be recalled that fighting broke out on 20 February between the Khalifa Hafter-led Libyan National Army (LNA) and its local allies, and opposition Tebu forces in Murzuk.

Murzuk is located 144 km south of the southern regional capital Sebha. The battle there was a continuation of Khalifa Hafter’s military operation from Sebha and in the southern region to “clean” the area of criminals and foreign mercenaries.

On 21 February the LNA’s Official Spokesperson Ahmed Mesmari, reported on behalf of the Karama (Dignity) Operation Room: “Our forces have secured the city of Murzuk”.

However, the next day there were reports that the Tebu coalition, which the LNA claim include Chadian mercenaries, had mounted a counter attack and pushed the LNA coalition forces out.

There were unconfirmed reports that the LNA had suffered some deaths and loss of military vehicles.

The LNA did secure Murzuk in the following days but there have been unconfirmed reports of abuses by the LNA or its allied forces.

It is noted that the IOM report made no mention of any abuses. However, these reports have included unconfirmed reports of extrajudicial killings, looting and the burning of homes of opponents.

One Murzuk parliamentarian said as many as 17 people have been killed and that there has been much looting. However, a pro-LNA site reported the youth of Murzuk happily cleaning the main streets.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2019/02/21/conflicting-reports-on-murzuq-battle/

 
Tags: featuredIDP internally displaced peopleIOM International Organization for Migration LibyaMurzukMurzuq

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

CBL to unfreeze 2018 hard currency allowance disbursements after treating large cases of ID fraud

LD 111 million development and maintenance health budget allocated for 20 projects

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.