No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New fighting reported in Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
October 2, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis/Tripoli, 1 October 2015:

Heavy fighting broke out on several fronts in and around Tripoli this evening as fighters from . . .[restrict]what was previously the Libya Dawn alliance battled one another.

On the city outskirts, near the Wadi Rabie barracks, east of Tripoli International Airport, a battle was reported to have broken out between Misrata militiamen and gunmen loyal to Haitham Tajouri, with exchanges of artillery and machine gun fire. Three Misratans from Al-Merdas Brigade were reported to have been killed in the fighting.

One eyewitness reported “houses are on fire, families are fleeing, there are grads (missiles) exploding”.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The two militias battled along a series of roads skirting the city, with one militia, or possibly local people, putting containers across streets to stop any advances.

One report said the fighting began after Tajouri’s gunmen blocked a road leading to a Misratan base and detained a Misrata militiaman. Fighting was also reported in Suq Al-Juma, with the eastern coastal road closed.

At the western edge of the city, an explosion, possibly a grad, reportedly damaged the 17-kilometre bridge in Janzour, on the coastal highway, leaving at least seven dead. The bridge is now the frontline between forces loyal to the Libya National Army and House of Representatives and those supporting the Tripoli regime.  The former have operated a checkpoint there for the past two days.

Meanwhile clashes with machine gun fire were heard in Shara Omar Mukhtar in downtown Tripoli as well as in Zawiat Al-Dahmani, although both may have been nervous gunmen firing into the air. There was also firing in Algeria Square while a fresh attack on the Ruhaimi prison at Ain Zara was also reported, but unconfirmed.

The centre of the capital was otherwise deserted this evening with people off the streets. Locals told the Libya Herald that gunmen had been firing heavy artillery randomly into air and that people were scared to go out.

Meanwhile, there was gunfire in the Warshefana stronghold of Najila west of Tripoli international airport .

The fighting comes amid uncertainty about peace talks taking place at the United Nations in New York.

Misratan units last week pulled out of positions west of Tripoli, with pro-HoR forces from Zintan and the Warshefana moving in to take control of Janzour naval base and cut the coastal highway, the last Libya Dawn-secured route to the Tunisian border. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

IS attacks Sidra

Tunis Air to resume flights to Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.