No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Accusations over Derna bombing continue as condemnation grows

byMichel Cousins
November 1, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Accusations over Derna bombing continue as condemnation grows

Thousands attended the funerals yesterday of those killed in the air raids in Derna (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Thousands attended the funerals yesterday of those killed in the air raids in Derna (Photo: Social media)
Several thousand attended the funerals yesterday of those killed in the air raids in Derna (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 1 November 2017:

Accusations of responsibility for Monday evening’s bombing raid on Derna in which at least 15 civilians died, including 12 women and children, are being levelled at both the Libya National Army (LNA) and the Egyptian air force. The accusations come as the ambassadors of France, Italy the UK and US today joined the chorus of condemnation of the attack, while the Presidency Council has declared three days of national mourning.

The accusation that Field Marshal Khalifa Hafter and the LNA carried out the airstrikes has come from the president of the State Council, Abdulrahman Sewehli, as well as from the Justice and Construction Party (J&C).

Describing the killings as a political watershed, Sewehli accused the “eastern command” – in other words the LNA – of responsibility. He called on the UN Security Council to meet in emergency session to decide on action in accordance with UN Resolution 1973.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

Likewise calling for the UN to take action, the J&C labelled Hafter and the LNA as terrorists, accusing them of war crimes for targeting unarmed civilians.

In Egypt, however, although the country’s foreign ministry yesterday condemned “in the strongest terms” the incident, the online newspaper Mada Masr reported that it had been told by an Egyptian government source that the airstrikes were carried out by the Egyptian air force. The reason, according to the source, was to pre-empt plans by militants in Derna to cross into Egypt and carry out terror attacks there.

The Derna Mujahideen Shoura Council had already accused the Egyptians of carrying out the raids.

There have been previous attacks by the Egyptian air force. Last May, Cairo announced that it had carried out airstrikes on Derna in collaboration with the LNA, hitting strategically important sites held by the DMSC. The attack was in retaliation for the massacre of 28 Christians in central Egypt’s Minya province. Cairo claimed that it had been organised with the help of militants based in Derna. The town was also bombed in 2015 by the Egyptians in revenge for the Islamic State beheadings in Sirte of 21 Christians, 20 of them Egyptians.

Just last week, Egyptian planes hit a convoy of eight vehicles crossing the border from Libya into Egypt and which the air force said were carrying weapons and ammunition for terrorists. The Egyptians apparently believe that arms originated from Derna.

Monday’s raid followed the 21 October attack by terrorists in Egypt’s Western Desert in which 16 police and conscripts were killed.

In today’s joint statement condemning the air strikes, the four ambassadors also condemned the torture and summary execution of 36 men whose bodies were found in Al-Abyar last week, insisting that anyone suspected of carrying out such executions and torture, or who failed to prevent them, be investigated and put in trial. They also said that their governments would pursue “at the international level” anyone involved in human rights crimes.

This is seen as referring to possible arrest warrants from the International Criminal Court.

Italian foreign minister Angelino Alfano had already issued his own statement condemning the attack and demanding that humanitarian organisations be allowed access to the town to deal with the wounded and “relieve the suffering of the people”.

In its condemnation of the killings, the Presidency Council has announced three days national mourning. The DMSC-dominated Derna local council had already declared three days of mourning.

The killings and the humanitarian situation in Derna as a result of the LNA blockade were meanwhile one of the main subjects in discussions today between PC head Faiez Serraj and UN deputy special envoy Maria Ribeiro who is also the UN’s humanitarian coordinator for Libya.

The number of casualties of Monday’s raid in which one or more private houses were hit, is still uncertain. While it is reported that at least fifteen people died, reports from Derna say that 20 civilians were killed and a further 23 wounded. Of the dead, all are said to have been children apart from two women and a man.

Tags: DernafeaturedKhalifa HafterLibyaLNAUNSMIL

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Nine dead children in UNSMIL's October civilian body count

Monarchist conference in Gharyan calls on Prince Mohamed El-Senussi to take crown

Monarchist conference in Gharyan calls on Prince Mohamed El-Senussi to take crown

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.