No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Human Rights Watch accuses LNA over Abyar killings

byMichel Cousins
November 29, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Some of  the Al-Abyar massacre victims (Photo: social media)
Some of the Al-Abyar massacre victims (File photo)

Tunis, 29 November 2017:

Human Rights Watch (HRW) believes that fighters loyal to the Libya National Army (LNA) executed 36 men and is concerned that it has failed to release any results of a promised investigation.

“The Libyan National Army’s pledges to conduct inquiries into repeated unlawful killings in areas under their control in eastern Libya have so far led nowhere,” said Eric Goldstein, deputy Middle East and North Africa director at HRW.

The bodies were found on 26 October close to a main road south east of Al-Aybar, 50 kilometres east of Benghazi.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“The LNA will be condoning apparent war crimes if their pledge to investigate the gruesome discovery in Al-Aybar proves to be another promise,” Goldstein added.

Stefan Schmitt, a forensic investigator who reviewed images of the victims, said the injuries were consistent with executions at point blank range.

HRW says it interviewed relatives of two of the victims who reported that their relatives bore gunshot wounds and had their hands tied behind their backs.

“All relatives also said that armed groups from Benghazi prevented families from putting up tents in front of their Benghazi homes to receive guests during the traditional three-day mourning period,” a statement by HRW said.

The relatives of six of the victims further claimed that they were civilians seized from their homes, in the presence of their families.

HRW met with Ayman Al-Sahati, whose brother Ahmed, a 42-year-old father of four, was one of the men killed.

“The minute my brother Ahmed walked down the stairs to the first floor after hearing the commotion, the uniformed fighters jumped on him and started kicking him and beating him with the butts of their weapons,” he said.

“My father demanded to know, “Who are you? Where are you taking him? What did he do?” One responded, “We are the army”. Another said, “We are from internal security”. The fighters who remained outside of the house were shooting in the air,” he added.

Another relative interviewed said their family member appeared to have bite marks on his body from stray dogs. All those that HRW met with said their relatives were accused of being against the LNA, supporters of the so-called Islamic State, or both.

HRW said that some LNA units included adherents of the strict Salafist Madakhla ideology who view commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter as their “ruler” to whom they owe “obedience”.

Tags: featuredHuman Rights WatchLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Barghathi operated on in Tunis

Barghathi operated on in Tunis

Salame heads to Benghazi

Salame heads to Benghazi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.