No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Striking teachers reject GNA offer: report

byMichel Cousins
October 14, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Striking teachers reject GNA offer: report

Education minister Osman Abdul Jalil annnouncing the pay offer for the teachers (Photo: GNA media office)

By Hadi Fornaji.

Education minister Osman Abdul Jalil annnouncing the pay offer for the teachers (Photo: GNA media office)
Education minister Osman Abdul Jalil annnouncing the pay offer for the teachers (Photo: GNA media office)

Tunis, 13 October 2017:

Teachers are reported to have rejected the pay offer from the Presidency Council’s education minister Osman Abdel Jalil, calling it unfair.

Yesterday, Abdel Jalil proposed that in addition to their standard salaries, kindergarten and the primary school teachers of grades 1-3 be paid a further LD 12 a class, other primary school teachers LD 10 a class and secondary school teachers LD 15, all starting in November. Head teachers’ salaries would be increased by LD 300 a month and their assistants by LD 200 a month. Additionally, all teachers would be provided with heath insurance and guards would be employed under the control of the interior ministry to ensure security at schools.

He said that the offer had been approved by the Presidency Council (PC) and the finance ministry. It would cover all teachers across the country whether in areas controlled by the PC or the Libya National Army.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Teachers have been demanding that their salaries be doubled in addition to health insurance and better security.

Spurning the pay package, they are reported saying that it divides teachers and favours those who teach more than others. Some teachers, they say, have 20 or more classes a week, others just ten. They are sticking out for a 100-percent increase on all teachers’ salaries.

Currently, monthly salaries for all teachers regardless of the grade they teach are between LD 600 and LD 1,000 depending on the length of employment. The proposed increased would see some secondary school teachers gaining an extra LD 1,200 a month, more than double what those at the top level currently get. Others would gain no more than LD 600.

The teachers have been on strike for almost a month now, preventing the new school year from restarting. It was originally supposed to begin in September, but was put back to 1 October, them 15 October, the day after tomorrow.

This now looks unlikely and teachers have continued to protest across the country.

Although Abdul Jalil said that the offer had been approved by the PC and the finance ministry, it is not yet clear if the Central Bank would pay it. Teachers constitute the largest public sector pool of employees; there are now reported to be around quarter of a million although the education ministry’s payroll accounts for almost half a million people.

The offer as it stands would add several hundred million dinars to the already overstretched public expenditure bill.

Tags: Education minstryfeaturedLibyaOsman Abdul Jalil

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Hafter calls on Thinni government to prioritise payments for war casualties

Hafter calls on Thinni government to prioritise payments for war casualties

World Bank Libya report: violent political conflict, deficits, inflation, and lack of reform framework stall economy

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.