No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

No obstruction to creation of army – Minister of Defence Al-Thini

bySami Zaptia
November 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
No obstruction to creation of army – Minister of Defence Al-Thini

By Sami Zaptia.         

Defence Minister Abdullah Al-Thini said that there was no obstruction from the GNC or government in creating Libya's new army (Photo: Archives from GNC).
Defence Minister Abdullah Al-Thini said that there was no obstruction from the GNC or government in creating Libya’s new army (Photo: Archives from GNC).

Tripoli, 5 November 2013:

Making his first media appearance since his appointment as Minister of Defence in August, Abdullah . . .[restrict]Al-Thini said that his Ministry had “put the train on the track” regarding the creation of a Libyan army.

Speaking live during last night’s nine o’clock news on Libya Al-Ahrar TV, Thini sounded confident progress was being made.

During questioning at Congress earlier in the day, the government was accused of always saying that they are planning to do this and will be doing that – without ever actually doing anything.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

In this regard, Al-Thini was asked by the interviewer to give specific concrete examples of action by his Ministry. In response, the Defence Minister gave what he considered two concrete examples of progress.

Firstly, he said that the army is having new blood pumped into it with the input of new young recruits.

In order to facilitate this new injection of young recruits, Al-Thini said that the retirement law was being activated, noting that there were still some on active duty who were over seventy years old and many over sixty. These had to be retired in order to make room for new blood, he explained.

The second example of action  by the Ministry of Defence, Al-Thini said, was the reorganization of the military units. He explained that many existed simply on paper and were fake units and that there was a lot of duplication of military personnel.

He explained that over 170,000 military personnel were actually receiving wages, whereas in reality nowhere near this number actually existed. Al-Thini did not, however, give an exact number of the actual size of the current Libyan army.

With regards to the often made conspiratorial accusation that either the government or the GNC or both, were actually secretly obstructing the creation of an army, Al-Thini said that in all honesty he had found no obstruction to his Ministry of Defence’s work.

On the subject of the hour; the continuing insecurity in Libya’s second city Benghazi, the Defence Minister gave some more details. Al-Thini said that the Benghazi Joint Security Room (BJSR) had been re-organised.

“It had a flaw in its make-up”, he explained without giving too much detail. He personally confirmed live on air that a new military governor, Colonel Awad Al-Saiti, had been appointed, as had been reported by Libya Herald.

Al-Thini declined to refer to Al-Saiti as a military ruler or commander, saying that the military governor or supreme head had more limited powers on civilian authorities than would be in a normal case of a military zone. His exact powers were still to be fully decided, he indicated.

Asked what was different about the new make-up of the BJSR, Al-Thini said that troops protecting Benghazi would now have no other distracting commitments and only one chain of command.

It will be noted that there have been numerous efforts to streamline and coordinate the security hierarchy in Benghazi before, but without much success on the ground, as the continuous bombings and assassinations have shown.

Early indications of initial reaction of some members of Congress to what the Defence Minister Al-Thini had proposed to Congress seem positive. Two of the most critical Benghazi-based GNC members of the government’s handling of the security situation in Benghazi, Sulaiman Zubi and Ahmed Langhi, seemed cautiously hopeful that this latest security plan for Benghazi might work. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThiniarmyBenghaziBenghazi Joint Security RoomBJSRGNCminister of defence

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Drug problems rise as street prices plummet

French Islamic New Year message calls on Libyans to continue to build democracy

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.