No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC empowers Abu Sahmain with ‘Commander-in-Chief’ duties

bythomwestcott
January 23, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 23 January 2014:

President of the General National Congress (GNC) Nuri Abu Sahmain and his two deputies have been . . .[restrict]empowered with Commander-in-Chief duties to deal with the continued clashes in Sebha and the overall deteriorating security situation.

The GNC commissioned Abu Sahmain, first deputy president Saleh Makhzoum and second deputy Ezzdin Awami in a unanimous vote this week. They will have Commander-in-Chief powers for a one-month period. This was initially misunderstood by some media sources to be reinstating Abu Sahmain to the actual role of Commander-in-Chief, a position he briefly held in 2013.

“It is not true that Abu Sahmain has been appointed Commander-in-Chief again,” National Security Congressional Committee member Sulaiman Al-Haj told the Libya Herald. “That commission was pulled from him because it did not have the required quorum.”

RELATED POSTS

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

Al-Haj said that the main reason for this latest commission was because of the increased security problems now faced by the country, especially with regard to the unrest in Sebha. Military decisions needed to be taken swiftly, he said.

“If they want to change or pass any laws, they will have to put these before Congress, but for urgent security matters, they can make the decisions,” Benghazi Congressman Alaa Magarief told this paper. He added that decisions would be made in conjunction with military authorities and the government.

In August 2013, Abu Sahmain appointed himself Commander-in Chief, without putting it before the GNC. He was forced to hand the role to Minister of Defence Abdullah Al-Thini later that month, after Congress members said it was wrong for him to hold two positions of power. [/restrict]

Tags: Commander-in-ChiefGNCLibyasecurity

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Renewed fighting in Warshefana

Sarir oilfield attacked, power lines cut

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.