No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

State Council meets again in Tripoli as controversy continues over its establishment

byMichel Cousins
September 21, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tunis, 10 April 2016:

Despite not being formally legitimised by a House of Representatives’ vote on the Libya Political . . .[restrict]Agreement (LPA), the State Council again met today in Tripoli, this time to discuss its administrative rules.

Last Tuesday, several dozen members of the General National Congress (GNC) announced the approval of the LPA, the GNC dissolved and the State Council in session. They then proceeded to elect Misratan politician Abdulrahman Sewehli as president and Saleh Makhzoum, the former GNC second deputy president, as the Council’s first deputy president.

The move has proved controversial, with numerous political figures saying that until the House of Representatives (HoR) amends the 2011 Constitutional Declaration and incorporates the LPA, the State Council does not exist. There have been protests in Tripoli and Benghazi against it and the deputy HoR president of, Emhemed Shouaib, who is also a member of the Libya Dialogue team has called its self-declared establishment a violation of the LPA. There would be a meeting of the Libya Dialogue on Thursday to discuss the matter, he said yesterday.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Another member of the Libya Dialogue, Misrata’s Fathi Bashagha, who is also a member of the HoR, has criticised the proposed Thursday meeting, saying that it “complicates matters”. On his Facebook page he queried the motivation for the meeting asking why there had been no similar session when in January the HoR demanded that Article 8 be deleted from the LPA.

Under Article 8, the powers exercised by all top military, civil and security officials are transferred to the Presidency Council and it is supposed to reappoint the occupants of those offices within 20 days of the signing of the LPA. The article is seen as affecting in particular the position of General Khalifa Hafter, appointed by the HoR as head of the Libyan armed forces.

In any event, the Presidency Council has not reappointed anyone to the posts within the timeframe specified and has effectively set the article aside.

Bashagha also pointed out that there had been other LPA violations, such as some HoR members in February opposed to the deal physically preventing a vote on it.

For his part, Makhzoum has insisted that the meeting of the State Council was legitimate because at Tuesday’s meeting, the GNC had amended the Constitution and legalised the LPA. That, he claimed, in no way contradicted the HoR’s role in approving it. The State Council, he said, was committed to the LPA and the HoR was the country’s sole legislature. [/restrict]

Tags: Fathi BashaghaLibyaSaleh MakhzoumState Council

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Obama admits: "Libya was my biggest mistake"

Deputy HoR president Shouaib clarifies what was agreed upon at Cairo meeting

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.