No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC members announce its ”dissolution” and creation of the State Council

byMichel Cousins
April 5, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GNC members announce its ”dissolution” and creation of the State Council

LAna

By Libya Herald reporters.

delft
Saleh Makhzoum “dissolves” GNC and announces existence of the State Council (Photo: LANA)

Tripoli, 5 April 2016:

A number of members of the General National Congress (GNC) this afternoon announced that they . . .[restrict]approved the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA) and the Government of National Accord led by Faiez Serraj and that, as a result,  the GNC was now dissolved. They were, they said, now reconstituted as the new State Council,  as envisaged under the LPA.

Chaired by Saleh Makhzoum, the former deputy GNC president, the event took place in the Mahary Radisson Blu Hotel rather than the GNC’s usual meeting place next to the Rixos Hotel. It is still in the hands of GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain and his supporters.

According to Makhzoum, some 94 members took part in the event although only 67 members appeared to be present in the hall.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

In what appeared very much as a stage-managed event, after Makhzoum announced the end of the GNC, the GNC logo behind him was removed and replaced with this of the State Council.

The chair was then taken over by former Hay Al-Andalus GNC member Abdulrahman Shater who, as the oldest member of the new State Council, is acting as its president. Demanding that violence and bloodshed stop, he said this first formal meeting of the Council was “historic” and that its existence would help Libya achieve stability. He added there would now be discussions on electing a full time president of the Council.

The event was attended by numerous prominent pro-LNA members of the GNC, including Abdurrahman Sewehli, Belgassem Gzeit, Nizar Kawan, Abdussalam Asafrani and Musa Faraj.

Sewehli, who previously expressed his interest in becoming the Council’s president, was quoted by the Libyan news agency LANA saying that the Council’s next step would be to decide in its internal administrative rules.

Under the LPA, however, the House of Representatives alone endorses the agreement and, until it is endorsed, the State Council theoretically does not exist.

Hater atdre
Abdulrahman Shater addresses the meeting (Photo: LANA)
[/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneral National CongressLibyan State Council

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Deputy HoR President Shouaib calls for wisdom from Presidency Council

Indian IT specialist missing in Tripoli for a week

Indian IT specialist missing in Tripoli for a week

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.