No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL political track talks to go ahead despite pullout by Tobruk HoR and Tripoli State Council

byMichel Cousins
February 25, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

The UN’s Palais des Nations, Geneva (Photo: UN)

Tunis, 25 February 2020:

Political talks organised by UNSMIL which are due to start in Geneva tomorrow, 26 February, will go ahead despite a last-minute pull-out by both the Tobruk-based House of Representatives (HoR) and the Tripoli-based State Council.

“The Libyan Political Dialogue will go ahead as previously scheduled, on 26 February. Many participants have already arrived in Geneva and we hope all invited participants follow suit”, UNSMIL spokesman Jean Alam, told the Libya Herald.

There are supposed to be 40 delegates at the talks – 13 from the HoR, 13 from the State Council and the other 14 selected by UNSMIL.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

The Tripoli-based State Council has said it will not take part until there is progress in the parallel 5+5 Joint Military Commission (JMC) negotiations, the second round of which ended in Geneva on 23 February. It also demanded to know in advance the agenda of the meeting and the names of participants from the HoR.

The Tobruk-based HoR also wants to see the agenda in advance, according to its spokesman, Abdullah Blaihak.

Its main complaint, though, is over its delegates. With the HoR now split between the main body in Torbuk and a smaller one in Tripoli, there has been a bitter argument over who chooses the 13 delegates. Tobruk HoR president Ageela Saleh selected 13 from members supporting his HoR.  For its part, the Tripoli HoR elected five delegates.  To the Tobruk HoR’s fury, UNSMIL head Ghassan Salamé is reported to accepted the five.  It says it will not join the Geneva discussions unless all its 13 representatives are allowed to participate.

There are also anger among Tobruk HoR members from southern Libya’s Fezzan Region at UNSMIL’s reported invitation to the Geneva political talks to Abdullah Othman, a former regime figure. He is accused of ties to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Other Torbuk HoR demands are:

  • Disarming and dismantling “terrorist” groups, militias and criminal gangs in Tripoli;
  • The LNA is the sole legitimate military force;
  • The Torbuk HoR is the sole parliament in Libya;
  • The formation of a presidential council comprising a president and two deputies representing the three regions, and the formation a government of national unity with a prime minister and two representatives representing the three regions;
  • A fair distribution of wealth between the three regions;
  • Parliamentary and presidential elections within a specified period from the date the new national unity government is voted into office by the HoR.

For its part, the parallel, the Tripoli-based HoR has now also joined the boycott. Its newly-elected president, Hamouda Sayala, has likewise said it is doing so because of a lack of progress on the military track.  It has also demanded to know who are the 14 independent delegates selected by UNMIL and on what basis they were chosen.

Two broadly similar lists have appeared of alleged independent delegates, but no list has been published by UNSMIL.

On the second round of the 5+5 military talks, UNSMIL issued a statement on 24 February saying that the two sides had prepared a draft ceasefire agreement which would enable displaced civilians to return to their areas and which would be submitted to their respective leaders. They would meet again next month.

Sources in both camps, however, say that there has been no agreement on major demands – from the GNA that the LNA withdraw to its position before 4 April, and from the LNA that it remain in its positions in and around Tripoli, that the Tripoli militias be disarmed and dissolved, that the Turks officers and Syrian mercenaries be removed, and that those involved in criminal activities be arrested and put on trial.

It is reported that the lack of progress on these issues is the reason for the two sides pulling out of the political talks.

UNSMIL hopes that the boycott will be short-lived and that the talks will go ahead as originally planned.

The second round of the 5+5 military talks were initially boycotted by the GNA after the LNA attacked Tripoli harbour on 18 February, but Faiez Serraj then relented, allegedly as a result of international pressure.

Tags: Faiez SerrajfeaturedGhassan SalaméLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Mellitah Oil and Gas stops flights of expat workers into Libya to mitigate Coronavirus

Libya’s oil production falls, losses over US$ 2 bn

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.