No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Gharghour clashes: 13 dead, 130 injured

bySami Zaptia
November 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 15 November 2013:

Hassan Lamin, former GNC member from Misrata who resigned and fled to live in London as . . .[restrict]a result of threats against him from armed militias condemned all regionally-based militias within Tripoli calling for them to join the official security forces as individuals.

Speaking live tonight on Libya Al-Ahrar TV, Lamin condemned the use of force by the Gharghour-based Misrata militias against peaceful civilian demonstrations.

Moreover, despite the 13 dead and 130 injured reported by LANA, Lamin urged that these peaceful civilian demonstrations continue saying ‘’whatever happens, happens’’.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli demonstrations start off peaceful in Martyr Square – end up with Molotov cocktails and fatality at Cabinet Office

Demonstrations are a right – but were infiltrated by internal and external spoilers

Lamin justified his stance for continued peaceful civilian demonstrations on the bases of the weakness of the state. ‘’The GNC reflects the contradictions of Libya. It reflects extremists, it reflects warlords and it is incapable. Therefore it is up to the general public’’, he said to effect change.

Lamin, speaking from the relative safety of London, felt that the Libyan revolution was not complete and that it needs to ‘’happen again’’. Regards the fear and strength of the militias he said that ‘’none of these militias are stronger than Qaddafi’s. We overcame those, so we can overcome these again’’.

The former GNC member from Misrata said that the present situation with regards to the various armed militias all over Libya could not continue. They must be ended he said, adding that ‘’a strong state is a prerequisite for development and progress in the new Libya’’ and that there could not be a strong state with the continued presence of militias.

Responding to militias claims that they were stationed in Tripoli to either protect Tripoli or Libya, Lamin condemned this ‘’façade’’. If this was their real aim, he added, referring to all the incidents of kidnappings, carjacks, robbery and clashes between militias – they had ‘’failed’’.

If these militias really wanted to secure Libya, he added, then why don’t they go to Libya’s various porous borders.

Lamin was at pains to point out, however, that any so-called Misrata militias present in Tripoli do not represent the city of Misrata. [/restrict]

Tags: demonstrationsGharghourGNCviolence

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

First shots fired at Gharghour protest from “unknown place” - Bishr

Zeidan calls for Gharghour ceasefire

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.