No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Demonstrations are a right – but were infiltrated by internal and external spoilers

bySami Zaptia
July 5, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Demonstrations are a right – but were infiltrated by internal and external spoilers

Friday's Martyr Square demonstration started peacefully but was infiltrated by spoilers the Interior Minister said (Photo: Interior Ministry).

Speaking at Monday’s cabinet meeting, Interior Minister Khaled Mazin said the demonstrations in Martyr Sq led by NGO ‘‘Beltrees Youth Movement’’ had applied for permission and received approval for their demonstration. He stressed that demonstrating peacefully was a right.

He said the organised demonstration went well. There were no injuries or deaths during the demonstrations across Libya. This despite reports of gun shots being fire above demonstrators’ heads in some cities.

The Ministry of Interior said it offered all the protection needed for the demonstrators to practice their right to peaceful protest.

However, Minister Mazin said internal and external spoilers infiltrated the demonstrations and caused all the illegal activities and the burning official buildings. The highest profile of which was the House of Representatives administration building in Tobruk. Buildings were also burnt or damaged to varying degrees in Tarhuna, Sebha, and Garabuli. Demonstrators in Misrata tipped a truckful of soil at the door of their municipality building

Minister Mazin said his Ministry was in the process of conducting its investigations into the demonstration saboteurs.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli demonstrations start off peaceful in Martyr Square – end up with Molotov cocktails and fatality at Cabinet Office

Tripoli demonstrators demand change

He thanked the Biltrees Youth Movement for cancelling their second demonstration originally planned for Tuesday to avoid exploitation by spoilers.

Beltrees Youth Movement reiterates its demands
Meanwhile, Beltrees said that ”as a result of the current situation and fear of entering a tunnel of chaos and the return of civil wars, and in view of the attempts of sabotage and chaos by some public money stealing parties, we declare our commitment to the most important objectives of The Friday of The Cry of Youth, which is:

  • To accelerate presidential and parliamentary elections
  • Authorize the Presidential Council to dissolve all political bodies
  • Declare the state of public mobilisation
  • Solve the electricity crisis
  • Clarify the facts for the people
  • Cancel the proposal to lift subsidies on hydrocarbons
  • Modify the size and price of the loaf of bread
  • The exit of all foreign forces and mercenaries in the east, west and south of the Country

Road blockades
Most of the disorder on Thursday and Friday was in fact caused by the ad hoc road blockades across the country. These involved the setting of fires across main roads, usually second-hand tyres, to disrupt traffic.

In most cases, security forces, be it official police or army, or officially recognized militias, stood by and did not intervene. However, there were some exceptions.

Tags: Beltrees Youth MovementdemonstrationsKhaled Mazin Interior Minister GNU

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
GECOL fighting to bring power back

Electricity crisis: GM Ismail takes over; old board continues as two new units start operation

Oil minister says fuel subsidies to go by 2016

There is no petrol or cooking gas shortage - queues will be over by Tuesday: Aldabaiba

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.