No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi ex-convict dies after being taken into custody

byCallum Paton
July 4, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Ahmed and Noora Ibrahim.

Benghazi, 4 July 2014:

An ex-convict Rajab Al-Douli has been found dead and showing signs . . .[restrict]of torture two days after he was reportedly taken into custody by Benghazi Security Directorate.

A source at Bengahzi Medical Centre (BMC) told the Libya Herald that Douli had arrived at the hospital after being transferred from Al-Abyar hospital yesterday. The source said Douli’s body was discovered alongside that of another man who has been identified as Wail Al-Abbar. Both were found at a landfill in Al-Abyar, some 50 kilometres from Benghazi.

Reports in the media on Wednesday claimed that Douli had been captured by Benghazi Security Directorate. They quoted an anonymous security source as saying he was being held in connection with a number of crimes committed over the past three years.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

No one from Benghazi Security Directorate or the city’s other security authorities has been available for comment.

Douli was a well known criminal in Benghazi, and is believed to have been involved in drug trafficking and other aspects of organised crime. He was imprisoned by the former regime but later released and led Qaddafi loyalists against protestors during the early days of the revolution.

Douli is not the first individual to have died in unexplained circumstances shortly after being taken into police custody in Benghazi in recent days.

Salem Ahmed Abdul Qader, the sole witness to the death of Salwa Bughagis, was pronounced dead on arrival at BMC, again showing signs of torture, after he was questioned by security forces six days ago. It is not known exactly when or where he died.

Benghazi Joint Security Room (BJSR) said at the time that it would be launching an investigation into Qader’s death. The spokesman for BJSR, Ibrahim Al-Sharaa, told this paper that officials were waiting for a postmortem report from BMC to ascertain whether Abdul Qader died in police custody or en route to the hospital.

The results of the postmortem were expected days ago. Awad Alqawiri, a member of both the new Benghazi Municipal Council and the city’s hospitals and clinics association, has said Qader’s case was now the sole responsibility of BJSR and that its forensic experts, not staff at BMC, had been asked to carry out the postmortem.

He said he did not know why the results had not been forthcoming.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghazideathLibyapolice custody

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Supreme Court appoints temporary Attorney General

Negotiations to end Jalaa Hospital crisis deadlocked

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.