No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNA “can ensure ministries’ security” insists Maetig, following attempted takeovers by Ghwell

byMichel Cousins
January 14, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GNA “can ensure ministries’ security” insists Maetig, following attempted takeovers by Ghwell

By Moutaz Ali.

Maetig at this evening's press conference -source of the picture GNA
Maetig at this evening’s press conference (Photo: PC/GNA)

Tripoli, 13 January 2017:

Deputy Presidency Council (PC) head Ahmed Maetig has said that the Government of National Accord (GNA) is able to ensure the security and safety of government ministry buildings in Tripoli.

The statement, made as a press conference this evening at the prime minister’s office, follows Thursday’s announcement by the former Libya Dawn regime head, Khalifa Ghwell, that his “government” had taken over three ministries in the capital.

Ghwell’s forces had not really taken over the ministries, said Maetig. The militias had simply gone in and made statements.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“The entry of Ghwell to these locations for a short while and making press conferences from inside certainly doesn’t mean he fully controls them,” he said.

The ministries which Ghwell’s forces broke into were those of defence, labour and martyrs.

Ghwell announced his takeover from inside the headquarters of the defence ministry, located in the city’s Salaheddin district.

Maetig’s refutation was largely confirmed today the local government minister Bidad Gansu. Speaking today in Tunis, he said that a colleague at the labour ministry had told him that there were hardlu any staff on the premises when Ghwell’s men entered it and that they were using the situation to try and give the impression that they were now running it.

At today’s press conference in Tripoli, Maetig also expressed confidence that the 2017 budget (or “temporary financial arrangements” as it is being diplomatically called) would be put into effect, thanks to the increase in oil exports. They are now reported to be up to 750,000 barrels a day.

“This will boost the national economy and help us succeed in implementing our proposed LD 37-billion budget,” he said.

Maetig also called on Libyans displaced abroad to return home unless they had been involved in crimes.  He further insisted that the GNA was determined to achieve national reconciliation among all Libyans.

Tags: Ahmed MaetigfeaturedGNALibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

EU and UNICEF fund €3.6-millon youth empowerment pilot project

Brega to inspect all petrol stations in its continued anti-fuel smuggling drive

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.