No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj stays with Arab-African summit despite large Arab pullout over Western Sahara presence

byMichel Cousins
November 26, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Serraj stays with Arab-African summit despite large Arab pullout over Western Sahara presence

 

By Libya Herald reporter.

Witg Deby
Serraj meet with Chadian President Idriss Deby at African-Arab summit in  Malambo. (Photo: Presidency Council)

Tripoli, 25 November 2016:

Faiez Serraj, the head of the Presidency Council, accompanied by its acting foreign minister Mohamed Taha Siala, have been attending the Arab-African summit in Equatorial Guinea’s capital of Malabo despite a pullout by eight Arab countries over the presence of the Western Sahara.

Morocco pulled out on Tuesday after the African Union (AU) insisted on the presence of the Polisario Front which says that it is the Western Sahara’s legitimate government. It was followed by the departure of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Yemen and Somalia.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A number of other Arab countries including Libya remained, however. Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi addressed the summit after the pullout, stating that Arab and African security were his countries’ priorities. However, with the gathering in disarray over the pullout, it is reported that the AU and Arab states will have separate emergency meetings to try and find a solution to the 40-year old dispute.

The invitation to Polsario is something of a snub to Morocco which had been planning to rejoin the AU. It pulled out in 1984 over the decision to admit the Polisario Friont by what was known then as the Organisation of African Unity.

While in Malabo, Serraj had talks with Chadian President and current AU chairman Idriss Deby who said that a five-member AU team would be in Libya early next month to try and mediate peace in the country.

Serraj also had talks with Algeria’s minister for Maghreb, Arab and African Affairs, Abdelkader Messahel.

Tags: Faiez SerrajfeaturedLibyaMoroccoWestern Sahara

Related Posts

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Next Post

Dutch and German ambassadors visit Tripoli

European ambassadors present credentials

European ambassadors present credentials

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.