No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Jadhran agrees to support LNA attack on Sirte following Ras Lanuf talks with Wanis Bukhamada

byMichel Cousins
May 6, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub.

Ibrahim Jadhran (
Ibrahim Jadhran (file photo)

Tripoli, 5 May 2016:

Central region Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) head Ibrahim Jadhran has agreed to support the Libya National . . .[restrict]Army (LNA) operation to liberate Sirte from the so-called Islamic State (IS), the Libya Herald was told this evening by one of his officials. The decision follows negotiations in Ras Lanuf with Saiqa Special Forces commander Wanis Bukhamada.

Bukhamada and Saiqa arrived earlier in the day in the oil terminal town, 60 kilometres east of Ben Jawad, itself the eastern front line for IS forces based in Sirte.

A number of LNA aircraft are also now said to be based at Ras Lanuf airport ahead of the offensive.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

Under the agreement between Jadhran and Bukhamada, the PFG would be put at the LNA’s disposal, the official said.

As part of a two-pronged operation to move on Sirte from both the east and the south, LNA forces are also now in Zillah and Marada, some 140 kilometres south of Ras Lanuf. However, it is separately reported that the prime objective there is to secure the oilfields.

Jadhran has previously been a bitter opponent of General Khalifa Hafter, the head of the LNA, and there had been fears of clashes between the PFG and the LNA as the latter moved towards Sirte.

It is reported that Bukhamada, who is highly regarded throughout the east of the country, was sent to Jadhran specifically to prevent such an outcome.

Bukhamada earlier had talks with Salah Al-Ataiwish, the head of the Magharba tribe of which Jadhran is himself a member. Ataiwish had already come out in favour of the LNA offensive to liberate Sirte, saying it had to be supported. In today’s talks, he reportedly confirmed that position and, in doing so, added to the pressure on Jadhran to come to terms with the LNA.

Underpinning the new position, a Magharba delegation in Benghazi separately had talks today with boycotting Presidency Council member Ali Gatrani in which they also affirmed their support for the LNA.

It is not clear if Jadhran, who was slightly injured in fighting IS last month near Brega, has been reinstated as head of the central region PFG. A supporter of the Libyan Political Agreement and the Presidency Council led by Faiez Serraj, he was recently sacked by both the Thinni government and then by the Hafter, although he and the PFG ignored this.

Today’s development will come as something of a blow to the Presidency Council which last week ordered all military forces to hold back on attacking Sirte pending the appointment of a new commander of all Libya’s armed forces. Misratan forces, which were reported to be planning a separate effort to liberate Sirte said they would abide by the order. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredIbrahim JadhranIslamic StateLibyaSirteWanis Bukhamada

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Dutch FM proposes Coast Guard training

Dutch FM proposes Coast Guard training

Thinni finally sacks Majbri as education minister

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.