No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rebel Tripoli administration vanishes

byNigel Ash
April 2, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Rebel Tripoli administration vanishes

Faiez Serraj today met CBL governor Elkabir (Photo: Presidency Council)

By Saber Ayyub.

Faiez Serraj today met CBL governor Elkabir (Photo: Presidency Council)
Faiez Serraj today met CBL governor Saddek Elkaber (L) (Photo: Social Media)

Tripoli, 31 March 2016:

The self-styled National Salvation government appointed by the rump of the General National Congress and led . . .[restrict]by Khalifa Ghwell has not so much collapsed as completely vanished.  Ghwell is reported to have left Tripoli last night for Misrata. The prime ministry on the Sikka Road was taken over yesterday afternoon by members of Presidency Council’s Temporary Security Committee. Its files and computers were sealed.

Meanwhile Government of National Accord prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj has been receiving a succession of visitors at his temporary base in the Bu Sitta naval base next to Tripoli’s main port. Among his guests was governor of the Libyan Central Bank Saddek Elkaber, who challenged his firing by the Beida-based Thinni government last June and stayed in post.  Serraj also saw the heads of all 13 Tripoli area municipalities.

It is believed that officials from around the city were instructed to go to the naval base to meet Serraj, who also saw a number of civil society activists.  It is not clear if his visitors included any army officers who had thrown in their lot with the GNC and Libya Dawn. It is reported that one person who declined to go to Bu Sitta was Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani, the former Grand Mufti, who only yesterday warned the Presidency Council that if it did not quit Tripoli, “there are weapons in every house”.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

All recently clashing state and militia forces and their military vehicles will return to their barracks as of yesterday evening

A crowd gathered this afternoon in Algeria Square and marched to Martyrs’ Square shouting “Bye Bye Abu Sahmain”, the president of what remains of the GNC.

A reliable Misrata source has told the Libya Herald that elders from that city as well as members of its military council travelled to Tripoli yesterday and met Ghwell. “They told him it was over. He had to give up. If he did not go, they themselves would remove him”. Ghwell is sad to have left for Misrata, his home town, with the delegation. The Misratans also reportedly visited Martyrs’ Square where Misratan militia leader Salah Badi had been holding an anti-Serraj demo. “ They told him to go home,” said the source “and he did”.

Another Misratan who is said to have gone home is Jamal Zubia who headed Ghwell’s foreign media department. Early today the Foreign Media Department (FMD) announced that Ghwell would be giving another press conference “within minutes”. But nothing happened. Later the FMD, which has until now published often sarcastic comments on news about the GNA and Serraj, carried a report of one of the Serraj’s meeting today without comment. Attempts by this newspaper to contact Zubia were unsuccessful.

The capital woke up this morning to relative calm after last night’s clashes. One local resident said that he believed that all of the firing had been purely for demonstration. “ I don’t think a shot was fired in anger by anyone” he said.  There have been no reports from Tripoli hospitals of dead and wounded.

A lot of workers decided to stay home. Government offices were reportedly thinly staffed.  Some schools stayed shut while others opened but not all parents brought their children.

“The ministry hadn’t announced anything,” education ministry spokesman Mohamed Sultan told the Libya Herald, “ and this led to confusion among school managers, as to whether or not they should be operating. Even here at the ministry only half the staff showed up”. [/restrict]

Tags: Abu SahmainBadiElkaberfeaturedgharianiGhwellGNALibyaMisrataPresidency CouncilTripoli

Related Posts

GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Libya

NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

August 26, 2025
EUBAM delivers first aid medical equipment to Border Guards and Interior Ministry
Libya

EUBAM trains 30 Drugs Control Agency and Customs Authority officers in advanced hand-held x-ray scanners

August 26, 2025
Next Post
Abu Sahmain protests “illegitimate coup”

Abu Sahmain protests "illegitimate coup"

Kobler congratulates Serraj, criticizes HoR and says Daesh can only be fought militarily

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba broadly welcomes Tetteh’s new political Roadmap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.