No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Brand-new passport process powers down

byNigel Ash
August 18, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Brand-new passport process powers down

The queues today at the Tajoura passport office (Photo: social media)

By Saber Ayyub.

The queues today at the Tajoura passport office (Photo: social media)
The queues today at the Tajoura passport office (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 17 August 2015:

Libya’s new biometric passports may be fraud-proof but Tripoli’s regular power cuts are playing havoc with . . .[restrict]the newly-introduced IT system supposed to speed the issuance of the new, state-of-the-art travel documents. Nor it seems do computer-booked appointments mean all that much to the guards who filter people into the application centres.

The experience today of one would-be new passport holder appears to be fairly typical.

Journalist Moutaz Karif had a confirmed appointment for this morning. The office opened at 8.30 am. But, he told the Libya Herald, to be on the safe side, he reached the Tajoura building at 6 am.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Minister Hwej discusses imposed peak time power cuts and higher tariffs with industry

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

“I really dream of getting this new passport and I did not want to take any chances” he said, “I fully expected to be the first one there, but when I arrived there were already a lot of people queuing”.

One problem with the new online system, which allows remote booking of appointments, is that not all applicants at all the centres are assigned a specific number, just the day on which to turn up.

In contrast, a regular Libya Herald reader told this publication, on the basis of anonymity, that she had been issued with a specific number for her appointment at the Al-Maya centre, on the outskirts of Zawia. All the Tripoli centres were fully booked, she added, forcing her to seek an appointment further afield.

“Though the guard on the door  appeared to be noting the order of people in the queue, ”said Karif, “every once in a while someone just turned up and was let into the building straight away. A lot of those waiting had been suspicious of favouritism and the rapid entry of people who were presumably his friends, confirmed this”.

However when the office formally opened, the guard began calling out names. “People were going in there every 15 minutes and we all became hopeful that we really would get our passports today”.

The queue inched forward slowly. Then at 11.30 am, the power failed. After a while Karif and the several dozen people still queuing were told to come back tomorrow. But of course tomorrow there will be a fresh batch of hopefully applicants clutching confirmed appointments for Tuesday. [/restrict]

Tags: biometricsfeaturedLibyapassportpower cutsTajura

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libya has given a proud Indian his life and respect

IS behead suspected spy in Derna

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.