No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tuaregs and Tebus sign new Sebha truce as locals say they have had enough

byMichel Cousins
July 25, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Mustafa Khalifa and Mustafa Hussein.

Ghat/Sebha, 25 July 2015:

It is reported that a truce has been signed this evening in Sebha between the warring . . .[restrict]Tebu and Tuareg communities. It was brokered by local tribes and those from the north west of the country.

There had been growing hopes during the day that the latest ceasefire in Sebha between Tebu and Tuareg fighters would hold as mediators from western Libya attempted to bring a permanent end to the clashes which in the three weeks since the present fighting broke are thought to have killed over 60 people.

The mediation has been carried out by a number of tribes including the Qaddadfa, the Warshefana, by Gharyan and Amazigh towns in the Jebel Nafusa, Suq Al-Juma and members of Misrata’s Third Force, currently based in Sebha.

RELATED POSTS

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Libyan and Tunisian dates companies meet in Sebha to explore international export cooperation

Under the deal, all displaced residents in Tiwari district near the airport, are to be allowed to return to their homes as of tomorrow, 26 July, and all prisoners held by either side released.  Anyone that breaches the agreement will be held accountable politically, financially and morally by all the mediating parties and  negotiations will continue to try and bring about a final peace deal between the two sides.

 The clashes, which involved heavy weaponry, have caused substantial damage in Tiwari where previously both communities as well as local Arabs lived side by side in peace. Most residents left as it was impossible for anyone to live there while the fighting was going on. Those who could not stay with relatives have been housed in local schools.

The university and a place on the Obari road locally known as the “India Company have also been scenes of heavy fighting.

The main Tuareg demands in the negotiations, according to Mohamed Musa, deputy leader of the Tuareg Social Council, was that all newcomers to Tiwari leave the area, the Tebus hand over control of the checkpoint at the entry to it, and that an independent peacekeeping force take up positions to ensure that the truce lasts.  It is not known if any of these conditions were addressed in the deal.

He had said that the Tuareg would uphold the current ceasefire but would respond if fired upon.

Specific casualty figures in the fighting are not known. Tuareg casualties are taken to Sebha Medical Centre which has reported over two dozen killed. Tebu dead and wounded are usually taken to the hospital at Murzuk.

Increasingly angry local Sebha residents had meanwhile demanded that that the two communities reach a permanent peace deal and that the Third Force police it to ensure it lasts. At a meeting on Thursday, locals said that if the force was unable to do so or cut back on soaring crime then it should leave the southern city.  Supported by municipal councillors, they insisted that the Third Force stop gunmen from entering the centre of Sebha and  ban all vehicles with tinted windows.  They also demanded that local tribes ensure that their militias stay outside the centre of the city. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSebha

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Unknown bodies found outside Derna

Algeria sends food aid to Ghat

Algeria sends food aid to Ghat

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.