No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU promises support to Libyan municipalities while looking for help to end political crisis

byMichel Cousins
August 27, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
EU promises support to Libyan municipalities while looking for help to end political crisis

Libyan Mayors wih EU officials n Brussles today (Photo: EU Committee of the Regions)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Libyan Mayors wih EU officials n Brussles today (Photo: EU Committee of the Regions)
Libyan Mayors wih EU officials in Brussles today (Photo: EU Committee of the Regions)

Tunis, 9 July 2015:

Mayors from Benghazi, Zintan, Sebha and Gharyan as well two Libyan municipal coordinators met European . . .[restrict]officials in Brussels today as part of EU efforts to build relations between Libyan municipalities and Europe as well as further encourage them to take a leading role in ending the current political crisis.

The specific aim of the one-day meeting, organised by the EU’s Committee of the Regions and members of the Euro-Mediterranean Regional and Local Assembly (ARLEM), was to foster cooperation between Libyan and European mayors and to integrate Libyan municipalities into planning and projects within the European/Mediterranean area.

The meeting was designed to build on the relationships created last March when over 30 mayors met EU Foreign Policy chief Federica Mogherini and other EU officials in Brussels and discussed the role they could have in pushing for a peace deal to end the Libyan crisis.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

In a message from Mogherini today, the smaller group of mayors were told that the EU would soon launch “an ambitious programme” of support for several municipalities local government issues and delivery of services as well as crisis and post-crisis planning and economic development.

Mogherini also said that she admired the way the municipalities had already taken a lead in trying to end the current crisis with their own local moves at reconciliation.

“The fact that you have remained in contact and put differences aside to discuss and agree important measures like ceasefires and prisoner exchanges is something for which I wish to express my admiration and recognition,” she said.

So as to develop ties between Libyan and EU municipalities, which the Libyan mayors said they wanted to do, it was announced today that Libyan participants would be invited as observers to the next ARLEM session in Nicosia in January 2016.

“Through a genuine partnership and active participation within ARLEM, we wish to initiate a new dynamic cooperation which can assist with building administrative capacity to facilitate economic, social and territorial development in Libya,” said CoR president Markku Markkula.

Those Libyans present at the Brussels meeting today were Benghazi Mayor Omar Barasi, Mustafa Baruni (Zintan), Yousif Budeiri (Gharyan), Hamid Al-Khal (Sebha) along with Abdelrauf Beitelmal (focal point of the Working Group representing a number of Libyan municipalities, set as coordination and follow-up mechanism with the UN and the EU after the meeting held in Brussels on 23-24 March within in the framework of the UN-led Libyan dialogue process) and Allam Al-Fallah (Political Advisor of Mayors of Eastern Region of Libya). [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziEuropean UnionfeaturedGharyanLiobyaSebhaZliten

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Delegates back in Skhirat, waiting to see if GNC team turns up

BREAKING NEWS: Army launches big counterattack in Benghazi

BREAKING NEWS: Army launches big counterattack in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.