No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Dawn to oust IS from Sirte

byNigel Ash
February 15, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya Dawn to oust IS from Sirte

A picture said to show kidnapped Egyptians in hands of IS at Sirte (social media)

B

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

A picture said to show kidnapped Egyptians in hands of IS at Sirte (social media)
A picture said to show kidnapped Egyptians in hands of IS at Sirte (social media)

Tripoli, 14 February 2015:

The General National Congress has vowed to retake parts of Sirte seized in recent days by . . .[restrict]gunmen linked to IS.

Nuri Abu Sahmain, the speaker of the rump of the old parliament today chaired what was described as an urgent meeting of Dawn militia leaders and politicians at which it was agreed to form a “joint military force”  to recapture positions in Sirte now overrun by IS.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

These include  the local broadcaster Makdimas FM radio, Ibn Sina Hospital, the passport authority and social security buildings and the Ouagadougou Conference complex.

The meeting described the IS gunmen as “an illegitimate armed group”. It said that when they had been removed from “state property”,  the GNC would foster the creation of an Operations Room to follow up the military and security position in the town.

IS meanwhile on Friday issued a warning that all militia units should quit Sirte, giving a deadline of tomorrow (Sunday).

The president of the rump of the GNC also complained the Egyptian government had not contacted Tripoli and thus not provided the names of the Egyptians kidnapped in Sirte. These men have been pictured  being paraded in Gitmo-style orange jumpsuits in what might have been the initial stages of a mass-beheading. Th GNC statement suggested that had this information been available, Libya Dawn could have acted against the kidnappers of 21 Coptic Egyptians

The GNC’s Facebook page said that the it had contacted the Hassi-government’s interior ministry to confirm the news that these men had been kidnapped and killed.  The GNC went on to suggest that if Cairo didn’t want to talk directly to Libya Dawn on the question of the fate of the seized Copts, it would be happy to deal with the Egyptian government through a third party.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abu Sahmain.featuredCoptsfeaturedISLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Grain and subsidized flour reserves down to two to three months supply

Civil rights leaders seized in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.