No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

J&C supports extension of GNC, does not want PM dismissed: party official

byMichel Cousins
November 13, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Umar Khan.

Tripoli, 13 November 2013:

The Justice and Construction Party (J&C) has said that it supports moves to extend the General . . .[restrict]National Congress’ term of office  beyond February. It says that it should cease to exist only when it has completed the work given it by the August 2011 Constitutional Declaration.

Under the declaration, Congress will cease to exist once a new constitution is drawn up by the Constitutional Committee and promulgated, and elections held for a new legislature. However, the declaration had anticipated that all that would have been achieved by February 2014.

The head of J & C party’s political department, Saleh Elmasmary, told the Libya Herald that there were issues about the extending Congress’ life, the idea of re-electing a new Congress to achieve the same objectives as the present one was impractical. It would slow things down, he claimed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“There are many questions on the wording of Constitutional Declaration itself and it is not yet clear if the tenure ends before the task should be achieved by Congress. However, Congress should finish the work it was tasked to do as the current situation is very sensitive and the country may not be able to survive a wrong step.”

Dissolving Congress at this stage would create a vacuum and increase the present chaos in the country, Elmasmary insisted.

Referring to the current security situation, he also said that it was not yet clear if the elections for the Constitutional Committee could be held at present.

As to divisions between the different political parties, he claimed that in fact they respected and worked with each other, particularly when trying to counter the public view that such infighting was responsible for the current chaos in the country.

“There is regular contact between different parties. We recently met with the leadership of National Forces Alliance and there are other efforts too. It is important in a healthy democracy to maintain contact with all sides,” he stated.

Speaking about the performance of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, Elmasmary hinted at a major shift in party policy. “We are part of the government and our position on the current government is very clear that it has so far disappointed the Libyan people. But the important thing here is not to bring it down but to stabilise the country.

“If there is a significant change and the governments starts doing real work on the ground than we will definitely support it.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: General National CongressJustice and Construction PartyLibya

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Italian company in broadband contract

Another Constitutional Committee election boycott threat

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.