No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Red Cross supplies aid for over 7,000 civilians fleeing Sabratha fighting

bySami Zaptia
October 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

London, 19 October 2017:

The International Committee for the Red Cross ICRC) says that in its emergency response to the violent clashes in Libya’s north-west, it had provided lifesaving medical materials to health facilities as well as food and household items to more than 1,200 families.

Dozens of civilians and fighters were killed and several hundred were wounded during the three weeks of fighting that erupted in mid-September in populated areas of Sabratha, the ICRC reports.

”Most of the displaced had to flee their homes in a rush while fighting was raging. They had to run to save their lives without being able to carry any belongings with them”, said Karl Mattli, the Head of Delegation for the ICRC in Libya. “Though they found shelter with relatives and with fellow citizens, they were left without food and without the most basic necessities”.

RELATED POSTS

Italian Cabinet gives green light for a state of emergency to intervene in Libya, allocates € 5 million

Providing psychosocial support to the thousands affected by Storm Daniel is a priority: UN

Together with its partners from the LRCS, the ICRC provided over 7,000 people with a month’s worth of food and household items such as mattresses, blankets, hygiene items and kitchenware to help them cope with their most urgent needs

Medication and other lifesaving health material including dressing sets, gloves, infusion sets, splints and injection material were delivered to several LRCS branches and health facilities across western Libya for the treatment of anyone wounded in the fighting, including fighters from both sides and wounded civilians.

In addition, the ICRC is supporting an LRCS clinic that treats displaced persons as well as the LRCS branches of Sabratha and Zuwara with medical material to provide health assistance to migrants as an emergency response.

It also supplied the LRCS Sabratha branch and health facilities with material to handle human remains resulting from the fighting.

The ICRC reminded all those involved in fighting to spare civilians and civilian infrastructures and to do their utmost to ensure that civilians are not harmed during armed clashes. Healthcare facilities and health workers must be protected at all times so they can assist victims of the clashes. Medical personnel and LRCS volunteers must have safe access to their places of work at all times.

Tags: aidfightingInternational Committee of the Red CrossSabratha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Jibril condemns enshrining of militias, accuses HoR and HSC of self interest

Jibril condemns enshrining of militias, accuses HoR and HSC of self interest

Water stops in Tripoli as Qaddafi militants now threaten to blow up gas pipeline

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.