No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sabratha fighting rages on as many townspeople flee

byNigel Ash
September 26, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Sabratha fighting rages on as many townspeople flee

Damage to the Qamar Hotel captured from the 48th Battalion on Saturday (Photo: AIOR)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Damage to the Qamar Hotel captured from the 48th Battalion on Saturday (Photo: AIOR)
Damage to the Qamar Hotel captured from the 48th Battalion on Saturday (Photo: AIOR)

Tripoli, 25 September 2017:

Sabratha hospital has issued an urgent call for trauma kits and blood as the fighting in the town continued for a tenth day, with at least 17 dead and 48 wounded since the violence began.

So pressed is the hospital that casualties are being sent elsewhere. A woman hit by shrapnel today in her kitchen was transferred to Zuwara for treatment

Thus far all mediation attempts by local elders have failed, with two uneasy truces quickly breaking down. The Libya Red Crescent has reportedly evacuated almost all the population from the old part of two where the fighting has  become fiercest.

RELATED POSTS

23 unidentified corpses discovered in Abusleem Hospital mortuary fridges

Libya Development & Reconstruction Fund and Switzerland’s Mapco sign contract for construction, equipping and operation of Al-Hawari Hospital

There are international concerns for the safety of the outstanding ruins of Sabratha’s ancient city. Pictures last week showed a shell hole in the monumental masonry of the theatre. Today UNESCO called for a ceasefire and appealed for this precious part of Libya’s archaeolgical heritage to be protected.

However a halt to the fighting has been rejected by the Anti-ISIS Operations Room (AIOR) which says it is battling jihadists in the form of the Amu Brigade, also known as the Brigade of the Martyr Anas Al-Dabashi. This militia is effectively the same as the 48th Battalion, which the Presidency Council’ has said is part of its armed forces.

A normally reliable social media source said today that three migrant detention camps under the control of the Amu Brigade could not be reached. The source also said that while rivals fought in Sabratha, people-smugglers in Zuwara had stepped up their operations.

Tags: Amu BrigadeAnti-ISIS Operations Room (AIOR)DabbashifeaturedhospitalLibyaSabrathaUNESCO

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Baset Igtet defies Martyrs’ Square ban

Baset Igtet defies Martyrs' Square ban

HoR and State Council dialogue committees start work to amend Skhirat agreement

HoR and State Council dialogue committees start work to amend Skhirat agreement

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.