No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sabratha clashes continue despite mediation efforts

byMichel Cousins
September 23, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Sabratha clashes continue despite mediation efforts

Armed vehicle in Sabratha,

By Hadi Fornaji.

Armed vehicle in Sabratha,
Armed vehicles in Sabratha (Photo: TV grab)

Tunis, 23 September 2017:

In continuing clashes today in Sabratha, it is reported that the forces of the Anti-ISIS Operations Room (AIOR) has taken control of the downtown Qamar Hotel, killing three members of the rival 48th Battalion in the process.

The clashes are now into their eighth day, having started late last Saturday with the shooting dead of a member of the Amu Brigade, also known as the Brigade of the Martyr Anas Al-Dabashi, at a checkpoint in the town manned by the AIOR.

(The Amu Brigade is effectively the same as the 48th. The latter is the section of the Amu operation that was legitimised by the Presidency Council as part of its armed forces.)

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL / UNESCO organise seminar for 17 Chief Prosecutors on use of modern technology in prosecution

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Efforts by mediators have still failed to bring about a ceasefire although the 48th Battalion again signed up to one today aimed at allowing the evacuation of more civilians from the battle zone. However, AIOR has again refused to do so, once more claiming that its rivals are jihadists and that its job is to crush them.

Yesterday, the Sabratha branch of the Red Crescent said that it had so far evacuated more than 100 families from the town centre but that there were others who needed to leave. It could not reach the, however, because of the fighting. Conditions in the town, according to local Red Crescent member Ahmed Al-Alaghi, were “very bad”.

Meanwhile, UNESCO has called on the belligerents to stop the violence and ensure that the historic Roman ruins and the museum near the town centre were properly protected. There have been photos of alleged shell damage to the Roman theatre as a result of the fighting.

Tags: LibyaSabrathaUNESCO

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Teachers in east threaten strike over pay

Muscat tells UN secretary-general Malta understands Libya

Muscat tells UN secretary-general Malta understands Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.