No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Skhirat session suspended as unhappy GNC delegates return to Tripoli to consult colleagues

byMichel Cousins
June 29, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Skhirat session suspended as unhappy GNC delegates return to Tripoli to consult colleagues

leon presser monday morning

By Libya Herald staff.

leon presser monday morning
Bernardino Leon speaking to the press this morning (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 29 June 2015:

The latest UN-sponsored Dialogue negotiations in the Moroccan resort of Skhirat have taken an unexpected . . .[restrict]break after General National Congress (GNC) delegation decided to return to Tripoli last night to consult with their colleagues about amendments to Draft No. 4. The amended draft was given to them yesterday and they were reported to have refused to agree to it.

Others attending at the talks, including foreign ambassadors, have also left Morocco but say they hope to return as soon as possible for a final agreement.

At a press conference, early this morning, the UN Special Envoy, Bernardino Leon said that both the GNC and the House of Representatives (HoR) teams had left for consultations, that they would return on Wednesday, that the session would resume on Thursday and that he expected the whole draft to then be approved.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

There were just “two or three” points in contention, he said, the most important being the Supreme Court’s ruling last year on the legitimacy of the House of Representatives, and the composition of the State Council.

On the first, Leon said while the UN and the international community respected the Supreme Court, they took the view that it had not in effect nullified either last year’s elections or the mandate of House of Representatives. Tripoli, he stated, had expressed reservations on this.

On the second, he said he was sticking to having 90 members of the State Council selected from the GNC despite it wanting more and the HoR team wanting less. The two sides had to resolve this in the next couple of days.

Leon also indicated that the delegates were not yet at the point of discussing names for the new government. That would happen only after the agreement had been initialised, and it would not happen this week.

“On Thursday we will try initialise the agreement. It will pave the way to discussions on the unity government and on the annexes [to the agreement which will include the names of the prime minister and deputy prime minister]. Only when all this work is finished, will the parties be in a position to sign the agreement. This week what we’re trying to do it to initialise the text.”

There has been considerable anger expressed on Libyan social media sites at a list of names in the new national unity government supposedly approved in Skhirat. The list which includes Dialogue delegate Fathi Bashagha as Minister of Defence, former Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur as Minister of International Cooperation and former prime ministerial nominee Ahmed Maetig as Minister as Minister of Finance, has been dismissed by UNSMIL as fake.

This was not the first list of members of the new government to have appeared in recent days and it is not clear why so many people chose to believe it was true, especially since it is known that the Dialogue delegates will select the prime minister and deputy premiers but not the government ministers.

They are to be selected by the prime minister and his deputies once the three are agreed. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònfeaturedGeneral National CongressHouse of RepresentativesLibyaSkhiratUNSMIL

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Arms smuggling boat destroyed off Benghazi: report

Arms smuggling boat destroyed off Benghazi: report

Heavy fighting continues near Derna

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.