No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter sacks Faraj Barasi a second time

byMichel Cousins
June 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hafter sacks Faraj Barasi a second time

Clonel Faraj Barasi earlier this year in Benghazi's Birkah district (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald staff.

Clonel Faraj Barasi earlier this year in Benghazi's Birkah district (Photo: Social media)
Colonel Faraj Barasi (centre) earlier this year in Benghazi’s Birkah district (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 15 June 2015:

The head of the Libyan armed forces, General Khalifa Hafter, has relieved Colonel Faraj Barasi, . . .[restrict]the Libyan National Army’s head of its planned Derna offensive, of all his duties. In a statement on TV today, Hafter’s spokesman, Colonel Mohamed Hijazi, said that Barasi no longer had any role in the LNA and that anyone who continued to take orders from him would be punished.

No reasons were given although according to Libya Channel TV, Hijazi has accused Barasi of having meetings with a number of political figures without the knowledge or approval of the military leadership.

Just two days ago, after Islamic State (IS) forces were pushed out of Derna, Barasi announced that his men had taken positions from IS outside the town and were ready to attack the IS camp at nearby Ras Al-Hilal.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

This is the second time that Hafter has sacked Barasi. He was dismissed last month as military commander in the fight against the Islamists Benghazi’s Sabri district amid allegations that he was being too soft on terrorists there. However, he was then appointed by the President of the House of Representatives, Ageela Salah Gwaider, to head the Derna operation.

The latest sacking is unlikely to be the end of the matter.  Barasi’s appointment to the Derna post was seen as a bid to appease the influential Barasa tribe.  It came after members of the tribe had met in Beida and warned the authorities not to take any action against the colonel.

Reports of deep divisions between him and Hafter have been circulating for some time. Even before he was dismissed from his Benghazi post, he complained repeatedly of munitions shortages. He and other military commanders were said at the time to believe that Hafter was deliberately prolonging operations in the city to justify taking more power.

 

LCDF support banner

[/restrict]

Tags: Faraj BarasifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Libyan oil production up to 500,000 bpd: NOC

OpEd: Magna Carta: Arbitrary power and the rule of law in Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.