No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter accuses Derna operations commander Faraj Barasi of deception and betrayal

byMichel Cousins
July 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hafter accuses Derna operations commander Faraj Barasi of deception and betrayal

General Hafter and Colonel Barasi in better times (Photo: Libya Herald source)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Gebneral Hafter and Colonel Barsi in better times
General Hafter and Colonel Barasi in better times

Benghazi, 24 June 2014:

General Khalifa Hafter has told House of Representatives (HoR) President Ageela Salah Gwaider, that the . . .[restrict]reason he sacked Colonel Faraj Barasi last week as head of the Derna Operations Room was because he was incompetent, was acting independently of General Command, had maed unauthorised statements to the media, and was planning to attack Hafter’s forces once Benghazi was fully liberated.

In a leaked statement to the HoR president, who had appointed both Hafter and Barasi to their respective positions, Hafter said that when Barasi was commanding the Libyan National Army (LNA) forces in Benghazi’s Sabri district, the colonel had claimed that he was been kept short of weapons by General Command purely to divert attention from his own failings as a commander and his lack of progress. In fact, Hafter said, Barasi had sufficient weapons but was hiding them, mainly in the Beida area, for later use against himself once Benghazi was freed.

Beida is the main centre of the influential Barasa tribe.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Hafter added that the latter’s military failings had shown themselves in his inability to protect business and banks while he was commander in Sabri. He claimed that in Benghazi, Barasi had undermined military operations inside the city, with resulting effects on military morale.

He also accused him of being responsible for much of its destruction.

Since then, Hafter alleged, Barasi had had secret meetings with other LNA commanders, once in Tobruk and on several occasions in Benghazi. Barasi, he added, had also visited a Benghazi prison for unauthorised talks with a man being held there.

Hafter did not name the man, nor those LNA commanders Barasi allegedly met.

Three days ago, representatives of Harabi confederation, which includes the Barasa as well as the Dursa, Hasa and Ubaydat tribes, demanded that Barasi be reinstated. They said that they were not opposed to Hafter but that the colonel should be in charge of military operations from Guba to the Egyptian border. The meeting was then followed the day before yesterday by another between the Awagir tribe and Hafter which resulted in a statement saying they had resolved the issue of Barasi but did not say what the outcome was.

In his statement to the HoR President, however, Hafter who has reportedly appointed a Colonel Salem Al-Hassi as head of the Derna Operations Room, said that he respected the Barasi tribe and its leaders but nonetheless had ordered that the colonel stay at home and not take part in any military matters.

He left the final decision n the matter, however, to Gwaider.

For the moment, Barasi remains in de facto command, claiming that as he was appointed by the HoR president in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief, only he can remove him. Barasi’s subordinates take the same view.

For Gwaider, the issue is becoming increasingly uncomfortable, and with the potential to seriously undermine his position. He appointed Barasi as head of the Derna Operations Room after the Barasa tribe had complained about his sacking by Hafter as Benghazi commander. Three days ago

He cannot afford to alienate them now. Likewise, to accept to the colonel’s sacking after having appointed him would be a stark admission that he has no military authority. But he may be in no position to resist the Hafter’s demands.

Meanwhile, Barasi has denied reports that he was injured in fighting in Ras Hilal. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziDernaFaraj BarasiKhalifa HafterLibya

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Reactivation of judiciary in Derna requested by Mujahideen

Tunisia charges Egyptians with murder of missing journalists

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.