No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italy, Egypt and Algeria to intensify collaboration over Libya

byMichel Cousins
April 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italy, Egypt and Algeria to intensify collaboration over Libya

By Libya Herald staff.

trilaterale
Foreign Ministers of Egypt (left), Italy (centre) and Algeria’s Minister for Maghreb and African Affairs (Photo: Italian Foreign Ministry)

Tunis, 8 April 2015:

Italy, Egypt and Algeria have agreed to “intensify” joint efforts to fight the growth of . . .[restrict]terrorist forces in Libya and to pool information as part of the move.

The decision was taken at a meeting in Rome this afternoon of the three countries’ ministers dealing with Libya. They also agreed to continue backing the UN bid to create a Libyan national unity government.

“We have decided to intensify our efforts and our work together to promote the activities of UN envoy Bernardino Leon trying to stabilise the situation in Libya,” Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said at a press conference attended by his Egyptian counterpart, Sameh Shoukri, and Algeria’s Minister for Maghreb and African Affairs, Abdelkader Messahel.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Italian Economic Forum – 16 May at 50th Tripoli International Fair

Earlier Gentiloni met separately with the President of the Libyan House of Representatives, Ageela Saleh Gwaider, who had been invited to Rome by the Speaker of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, Laura Boldrini.

During their talks, Gentiloni reinforced Italy’s “strong support” for the UN-brokered dialogue saying that he hoped it would speed up.

“An inclusive approach and a government founded on a broad-based consensus are necessary to enable the international community to fully engage in the process of rebuilding and stabilising the country and combating terrorism”, Gentiloni told Gwaider.

For his part, Gwaider told the Italian Foreign Minister that he was committed a national unity government that included all Libyan forces that rejected terrorism.

At the later press conference, Gentiloni noted that a stable Libya with a “more inclusive” government would be “an opportunity for development and peace for our three countries [Italy, Egypt and Algeria].”

Algeria’s Messahel said that it made sense to coordinate policy and strategy on the terrorist threat from Libya, warning that the situation in Libya had to be brought under control otherwise it would impact on his own country’s security.

The Egyptian Foreign Minister also underlined the urgency of stabilising the situation in Libya, but also stressed that his country was committed to supporting the House of Representatives (HoR) in Tobruk as the legitimate authority in Libya. Cairo would, he said, happily accept a National Unity Government but it had to be one approved by the HoR. It also had to be one that genuinely represented the Libyan people and reflected the different “components of Libya”.

All three ministers said that they believed by coordinating on Libya, they would limit threats in their own countries from terrorists.

The three agreed to meet again in Cairo on a date to be announced.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: algeriaEgyptfeaturedItalyLibya

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

International community recognizes legitimacy of new NOC: Thinni

After Misrata, now GNC back peddles on Skhirat Dialogue

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.