No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Siala says Serraj did invite Italian warships into Libyan waters

byNigel Ash
July 31, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Gabriel Harrison.

Faiez Serraj and FM Mohamed Taha Siala in Rome last March (Photo:AFP)
FM Mohamed Siala and Faiez Serraj in Rome last March (Photo:AFP)

Tunis, 30 July 2017:

Presidency Council (PC) head Faiez Serraj has been contradicted by his foreign minister Mohamed Siala who says his chief did indeed invite Italian premier Paolo Gentiloni to send his country’s warships to help Libya in the fight against people-traffickers. Serraj has denied any such invitation.

Siala, who was with Serraj at the Rome meeting on Wednesday, has insisted that a deal was reached to allow Italian ships into Libyan waters with the permission of the PC.

A statement put out by the foreign ministry, signed by Siala, said that the PC request was for “logistical, technical and operational support to the Libyan coast guard.” It went on to say: “These measures require the presence of some elements of the Italian Navy at the port of Tripoli, but only for this purpose and only if necessary”.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Italian Economic Forum – 16 May at 50th Tripoli International Fair

Siala’s assertion flies in the face of denials by Serraj, who said on Thursday that he had only asked the Italians for more training and support for the Libyan coastguard.

Serraj warned that Libya’s sovereignty could not be compromised and that having foreign warships in Libyan waters was a red line that could not be crossed.

Gentiloni has if anything muddied the waters further. After meeting Serraj on Wednesday he said quite clearly that Italy had been invited to send warships. However, following a cabinet meeting in Rome on Friday, he appeared to be choosing his words carefully. He is reported to have said: “The cabinet approved what the (Libyan) government requested, no more, no less.”

There have been unconfirmed reports in the Italian media that Gentiloni is considering deploying six naval vessels including a command ship and up to 1,000 marines as well as manned aircraft and drones.

Tags: Faiez SerrajfeaturedItalian navyItalyLibyaLibya coastguardmigrant traffickersMohamed SialaPaolo Gentiloni

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Sirte's new Gulf power station the latest to be plundered

Local Islamist militias forced out of Sabratha by pro-LNA force: report

Local Islamist militias forced out of Sabratha by pro-LNA force: report

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.