No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL: Shahat bomb attack will not impact on our work

byCallum Paton
November 14, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Suliman.

UNSMIL logo (photo: UNSMIL)
UNSMIL (photo: UNSMIL)

Benghazi, 9 November 2014:

The bomb attack in Shahat near to where UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon . . .[restrict]was meeting with Prime Minister Abdullah Thinni “will not in any way have any impact on our work,” UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) spokesman Samir Ghattas has said.

In a statement sent to the Libya Herald Ghattas described how two large explosion shook the area in which the meeting took place. “We don’t know how close they were, possibly 100 metres or so,” he explained.

None of the UNSMIL delegation or the Libyan delegation was injured in the attack. “We immediately evacuated the room and after a brief pause headed to the airport,” Ghattas told this newspaper.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Who organised the bombing remains unclear. “We don’t know the motive but it will not prevent UNSMIL from continuing in its efforts to assist the Libyan people in their search for a political solution to the crisis,” Ghattas said. “We cannot say whether we were the target or not, but it will not in any way have any impact on our work and we will continue,” he added.

However, a senior security source form Shahat has confirmed for the second time that he believed the meeting between Thinni and Leon was the target. “It was meant by the enemies of the government and the military to show that the east is not safe,” he said.

The number of reported injuries from the blast has risen from five to ten, according to the security official. One of the wounded was reportedly a young girl of just ten years of age. All of those who sustained injuries are said to have been only lightly wounded.

Experts who surveyed the wreckage at the site of the explosion have said that the blast originated from one car which was loaded with explosives but then the initial detonation blew up two cars parked nearby.

The Shahat security official said the car bomb detonated in a car park in front of the town’s security directorate headquarters. The administrative building in which the UN and government delegations met is only a short distance behind, he said.

The security source explained that because of credible threats to the meeting it had been moved from its earlier location in Beida to Shahat which lies 15 kilometres away. For this reason, he reiterated, someone must have given specific details of the meeting to the bombers.

Follow Maha Suliman on Twitter: @Mahasye

[/restrict]

Tags: bomb attackfeaturedLeonLibyaShahatThinni

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Ghat food relief plane briefly “arrested”

Ghat food relief plane briefly "arrested"

The “T Zone” – where all Zawia is committed to the fight

The "T Zone" – where all Zawia is committed to the fight

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.