No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

American special forces capture top Islamist leader, Ahmed Bukhatallah, in Benghazi operation

byNigel Ash
June 18, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
American special forces capture top Islamist leader, Ahmed Bukhatallah, in Benghazi operation

Ahmed Bukhatallah, tried as Abu Khattalah, guilty of lesser charges (File Photo)

By Libya Herald reporters

 

A widely circulated picture thought  to be of Ahmed Bukhatallah
A widely circulated picture of Ahmed Bukhatallah taken some years ago (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi and Tripoli, 17 June 2014:

Ahmed Bukhatallah, the Ansar Sharia leader indicted by Washington as a prime suspect . . .[restrict]in the Benghazi September 2012 murder of  US ambassador Chris Stevens and three colleagues, was seized Sunday in Benghazi, the Americans have confirmed.

A presidential statement issued today by the White House read: “With this operation, the United States has once again demonstrated that we will do whatever it takes to see that justice is done when people harm Americans”.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

At the Pentagon, press secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby said that the operation had been carried out by US special forces “ in cooperation with law enforcement personnel”. Bukhatallah was in custody aboard a US vessel before being taken to America.

As of now Washington has gone tight-lipped over precise details of the operation, news of which was broken today by the Washington Post. The Post’s reporters found out yesterday about Bukhatallah’s capture on Sunday. However at the request of the US government, the newspaper held off publication until today.  It is unclear why this delay of some 24 hours was deemed necessary.

Ten days ago, Bukhatallah was involved in talks with Operation Dignity representatives mediated by elders from the west who were seeking to promote a dialogue. One of the elders involved told the Libya Herald this evening that neither side was prepared to give any ground and the talks broke up without any movement.

Sunday, the day that Bukhatallah was captured, saw some of the heaviest fighting of Operation Dignity’s assault on Ansar Sharia in which at least 57 were killed and 72 injured. The fiercest battle was around an Islamist base in Sidi Faraj, which a Dignity spokesman said had been surrounded. It may be wondered if there was some connection between the assault on the camp and Bukhatallah’s seizure.

Bukhatallah’s home is in Benghazi’s Old Laithi district.  As of now, there has been no formal response from Ansar Sharia . However, this evening large crowds were gathering outside the nearby home of Bukhatallah’s parents.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Ahmed BukhatallahAnsar ShariaBenghazicapturedfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Bank of Commerce and Development opens doors with American Express

Bank of Commerce and Development opens doors with American Express

House of Representatives to be in Benghazi – Official

House of Representatives to be in Benghazi – Official

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.