No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS vessel destroyed off Sabratha by unknown warplane: report

byNigel Ash
February 22, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
IS vessel destroyed off Sabratha by unknown warplane: report

A picture said to show the explosion of an IS vessel off the Sabrathan coast (Social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A picture said to show the explosion of an IS vessel off the Sabrathan coast (Social media)
A picture said to show the explosion of an IS vessel off the Sabrathan coast (Social media)

Tripoli, 21 February 2016:

There are unconfirmed reports that an unidentified warplane today destroyed a vessel carrying IS fighters . . .[restrict]and munitions off the Libyan coast near Sabratha.

A picture circulating on social media appears to show the mushroom cloud of an explosion some miles out to sea. The authorities in Tripoli have been reporting that aircraft taking off from Misrata have attacked IS positions in Sirte. But there has been no claim of a maritime attack. Nor has the Air Force in the government-controlled east of the country said that it sank the boat.

Therefore if the air strike did indeed take place, it was carried out by a foreign aircraft. Such as assault would fit the narrative that, following Friday mornings devastating US airstrikes on two IS compounds in Sabratha, the terrorists had been pulling out of the area.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The Pentagon has yet to acknowledge formally that the raid resulted in the death of two kidnapped Serbian diplomats held in one of the buildings. The Americans are sticking to their line that they had been watching the IS locations for weeks and had received no indications that “civilians” were present.

They have nevertheless expressed their deepest condolences to the Serbian government and the families of the slain envoys, communications officer Sladjana Stankovic and her colleague Jovica Stepic.  Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said that the US would share whatever information it could with the Serbian government. He also stressed that when carrying out operations, the US military went to extraordinary lengths to limit the risk of civilian casualties and in its campaign to defeat IS, it would continue to do so. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredISLibyaSabrathavesselwarplane

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Militants forced out of Ajdabiya

HoR postpones unity government debate as Kobler arrives in Tobruk for talks

HoR postpones unity government debate as Kobler arrives in Tobruk for talks

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.