No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ahmed Bukhatallah appears in US court

byCallum Paton
June 30, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

A widely circulated picture thought  to be of Ahmed Bukhatallah
A widely-circulated picture of Ahmed Bukhatallah taken several years prior to his capture (Photo: Social Media)

Tripoli, 29 June 2014:

Islamist leader Ahmed Bukhatallah, who was seized in Benghazi and delivered to US . . .[restrict]special forces nearly two weeks ago for his alleged involvement in the killing US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Amercian diplomatic staff, has pleaded not guilty in a Washington court.

He was charged with conspiracy to provide material support to the killers of Stevens and the three others on 11 September 2012.  He had already  been indicted on the charges in his absence by a US grand jury court. Yesterday’s hearing lasted ten minutes.

Bukhatallah has claimed in several interviews that he had no involvement with the killings. He has said his presence at US diplomatic facilities on the night of the murders in Benghazi came out of a desire to know what was happening there.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

The Washington Post quoted US law enforcement officials as saying Bukhatallah had been questioned during his journey to the United States abroad the amphibious transport dock the USS New York. The substance of these interrogations is a closely guarded secret.

Libya has condemned the US capture of Bukhatallah. Shortly after he was seized Justice Minister Salah Marghani demanded Bukatallah’s safe return saying the Islamist leader was wanted in Libya in connection with the attacks on 11 September 2012 as well as a number of other unspecified cases.

The government has said it had no prior knowledge of US special forces’ mission to capture Bukhatallah.

The US has launched a criminal complaint against Bukhatallah on three counts. He is charged with killing a person during an attack on a federal facility, supporting terrorists and carrying and using a firearm during a crime. His single charge of conspiracy to provide material support, for which he faces life imprisonment, is being used to bide time, it has been said, to avoid revealing details of the case in public while more evidence is gathered.

Another official is quoted as saying that in coming weeks the other charges could be added to Bukhatallah’s current single charge. If he is convicted on any of the other three he could face the death penalty.

[/restrict]

Tags: Ahmed BukhtallahfeaturedLibyaUS

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

ELECTION 2014: Final batch of preliminary results released

Police ordered back to work

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.