No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Ahly quits football league over attacks on its players

byNigel Ash
October 16, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Al-Ahly quits football league over attacks on its players

The Al-Ahli team in happier days

By Seraj Essul,

The Al-Ahli team in happier days
The Al-Ahli team in happier days

Tripoli, 16 October 2013:

Tripoli’s  Al-Ahly football team has withdrawn from the Libyan league in protest at gun attacks on . . .[restrict]its coach and a leading player and texted threats against other squad members.

Al-Ahly chairman Sasi Buown told the Libya Herald today that the team had pulled out of the league on a temporary basis. There would be a meeting of players, staff and board members on Friday, at which the next move would be decided.

Meanwhile Buown  demanded that the Tripoli Supreme Security Committee and the Criminal Investigation Department get on and find who was responsible for these attacks.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The first happened on Saturday when the team’s Egyptian coach, Hossam Al Badri, was fired on after Al-Ahly had drawn 1-1 against Al Suwaihli in a league match. Badri, who joined the team in May was not hit. Eye witnesses said that the gunfire came from a car with three occupants. Badri, who was shaken by the assault, later returned to Egypt..

The following Monday, star player Mohamed Al-Maghrabi was shot in his right arm and he had surgery to remove the bullet.  Buown said that other players had been threatened in text messages.

“What these people are doing, is attacking the whole game of football in Libya” said Buown bitterly, “ They are targeting Al-Ahly after our good results in the league, which opened last month.”

The team chairman said that maybe the attackers had got what they wanted, by having Badri return to Egypt.  Buown said that top team officials were going to Cairo to speak to the coach and ask that he return to Libya.   He also noted that the chairmen of many of the other 15 clubs in the football league, had contacted him, to express their shock and sorrow at the attacks.

A source at the Libyan Football Federation, who asked not to be named, told this paper: “As far as I know, we have received no official notification of Al-Ahly’s  withdrawal from the league.  But the situation is very tough right now. We are going to be pushing the interior ministry to provide more security for all the teams”.

He added:“Tripoli Al-Ahly is one of the best teams in the country. It will affect the league  if they quit.  We will try to convince them not to”.

Libyan football clubs are already in difficulties. Their finances have been hit hard by the banning of all fans from games, because of security concerns.  Stewards  have been unable to control boisterous and sometimes armed sections of the crowd. Apart from team officials, most games are watched only by TV camera crews, who beam the action back to fans sitting in front of their televisions.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Al-Ahly football teamAl-MaghrabiattacksBadricoachfeaturedleagueLibyawithdrawal

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Eid Celebration In Tripoli’s Martyr’s Square

Libyan novels “best books” about the country

Libyan novels “best books” about the country

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.