No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Ahly players decide to resume League games

byNigel Ash
October 22, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Seraj Essul

Tripoli, 21 October:

Tripoli’s Al-Ahly football team has resumed its participation in the Libyan League and is due to play . . .[restrict]its next match on Saturday against Tersana, at the Al-Ahly home ground, Draybi, beside Sport City.  The club withdrew from the competition following gun attacks on its Egyptian coach and a leading player, who was hit in the arm.

The change of heart came at a meeting of players and management on Friday at which it was agreed that there the club had made its protest about the two acts of violence and that there was no point in continuing the boycott of League games.

“Everyone understood that during games and training, we would do everything in our power to protect our people, ” said Al-Ahly board member, Muhammed Balta,”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

However despite the decision, it was only today that all available members turned up to training. “Yesterday we had ten”, he told the Libya Herald, “today we had 22’.

Missing from the full squad of 25 were the team’s three Egyptian players who had gone home for Eid and not yet returned.  Also still out of town is team coach Hossam Al-Badri who was fired on at his home by unidentified attacked on 12 October.  Two days later, player  Mohamed Al-Maghrabi was shot in the arm and had to undergo an operation to have the bullet removed.

Badri returned to Egypt saying that he would not return. However club owner Sasi Buown has gone with its chief executive Ali Al-Awsed to see if they can persuade him to come back. There were rumours this evening, which could not be confirmed, that the mission had been successful and that Badri had come back to Libya.

“We know what he went through and we appreciate the condition he is in,”said Balta, “and we are not trying to force him to come back.”

This is not the case with the three Egyptian players who, said Balta, had signed contracts and must return or they would face legal proceedings. One of Al-Ahly’s other foreign players, Ghanaian strike Kofi Bwadchi insisted that he wished to stay in Libya and continue to play for the club.

Meanwhile, said Balta, the club is still pressing the SSC and the Criminal Investigation Department to get on with their investigation into the two attacks on the team, as well as the threatening text messages received by other players. [/restrict]

Tags: Al-AhlyAli Al-AwsedDraybi groundHossam Al-BadriLibyaMuhammed Baltareturns to the leagueSasi BuownTersana

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

BREAKING NEWS: Arrest of Benghazi murder campaign suspects

Imposing security in Libya is not hard – former Deputy Interior Minister

Imposing security in Libya is not hard - former Deputy Interior Minister

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.