No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tribal clashes in Sebha leave two dead

byMichel Cousins
September 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

The fort at Sebha.
The fort at Sebha

Tripoli, 15 September 2013:

At least two people, possibly three, are reported to have been killed and others wounded in . . .[restrict]clashes in Sebha between two army battalions in the town representing rival tribes.  According to the local Germa news agency, negotiations are now underway to try and end the fighting.

The clashes which took place between Sebha’s historic fort and the airport started on Saturday evening between a local Libya Shield unit and members of the Baha-Uddin battalion. Two of the dead were taken to Sebha medical centre as were the two of the injured. They are said to be in a stable condition.

The fighting is reported to be over control of military premises near the fort. However, there is strong tribal element to the conflict, with one battalion said to be representing the region’s Awlad Sulaiman tribe and the other the Hasawna tribe.

RELATED POSTS

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Libyan and Tunisian dates companies meet in Sebha to explore international export cooperation

One of the dead, from the Hasawna, has been named as Ahmed Izedeen Ayfa.

The director of Sebha Airport, Mohamed Owidah, was quoted by the local Germa news agency saying that the clashes had not so far disrupted flights. An Afriqiyah Airways flight had left for Tunis today, he said. But he warned that if the fighting continued it was quite likely that the airport would have to be closed.

Rivalry between the two tribes runs deep. Two months ago, a members of the Hasawna, Ibrahim Al-Hasnawi was murdered while in Sebha jail. Reports at the time said that he was killed by members of the Abu-Zahra family of the Awlad Sulaiman tribe who were let into the prison by fellow tribesmen working there.

The Awlad Sulaiman have been involved in fighting against other groups – notably the Qadhadhfa tribe and the Tebus.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Awlad SulaimanfeaturedHasawnaLibyaSebha

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

GNC sitting disrupted by protestors

Hot ammunition explodes in car, killing driver

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.