No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Three deaths in Derna from unknown virus

byNihal Zaroug
March 12, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Three deaths in Derna from unknown virus

(Tripoli MoH).

Tripoli, 12 March 2013.

Three people have died in Derna . . .[restrict]from a viral infection that the authorities suspect could be a form of the H1N1 virus. A post on the Health Ministry’s Facebook page states the deaths were the result of a respiratory track infection, causing shortness of breath, high fever and unconsciousness.

According to a statement from the Health Ministry, the cases did not respond to conventional treatment methods used internationally.
Confirming the three deaths today, Tuesday, while speaking at the press conference in Tripoli on the mass poisoning crisis, the Director Gernal of the National Centre for Disease Control, Dr Mohammed Abughalah, said three others in the town have fallen ill with similar symptoms. They are currently stable and receiving medication at an isolation unit to help prevent the virus from spreading.

According to Abughalah, there have been 23 similar cases in Libya in addition to the six in Derna –  two each in Beida and Benghazi, one in Marj, three in Misurata, two in Khoms, ten in Tripoli and two in Zawia. In addition to the three deaths in Derna, one person had died in Tripoli and another in Zawia.

However, he also said that three cases in Tripoli had been diagnosed as H1N1 influenza. The other cases were still being analysed.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan health official in Slovakia detained for € 4 million fraud

Five health workers imprisoned for issuing fake Covid-19-free certificates

There are suggestions that those in eastern Libya could be cases of novel coronavirus (NCoV), also known as Saudi SARS. The first case was discovered in September last year in a Qatari man who had traveled to Saudi Arabia. Out of the 14 cases worldwide so far, there have been six cases there, four of them fatal.

In its statement today, the Health Ministry said that “upon communication with relevant authorities, it was confirmed that other similar cases were reported in some parts of Libya as well as in some Arab countries”.
It added that an isolation unit had been established and emergency team consisting of specialised doctors and nurses formed and equipped with all necessary medical supplies. Nearby hospitals had also been contacted to cooperate and exchange information.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) does not list Libya among the countries displaying the infection. However, it cautions “member states to continue surveillance for severe acute respiratory infections (SARI) and to carefully review any unusual patterns”.

[/restrict]

Tags: DernaH1N1healthLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
4,500 weapons destroyed in controlled demolition

4,500 weapons destroyed in controlled demolition

Egyptian Christian's family assured about Tripoli jail death: Egyptian ambassador

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.