No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Renewed clashes near Bani Walid

byGeorge Grant
October 8, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

More than 1,000 soldiers are stationed at Bir Dufan, one of the four government front-lines surrounding Bani Walid. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 8 October:

Renewed clashes have occurred today between government-controlled forces and fighters from the former pro-Qaddafi stronghold of . . .[restrict]Bani Walid.

The fighting, which began this morning, is reported to have taken place in the Mordum area, around 30 kilometres southwest of one of the government’s four front lines at Bir Dufan.

“Clashes have occurred today and the situation is very dangerous”, said Ahmed Langhi, an independent Congressmen and member of the negotiations team attempting to resolve the Bani Walid crisis.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

“There have been some injuries reported, but no fatalities”.

The exact cause of the fighting remains unknown, but Langhi said that some Misratans on the government side were eager to commence with an assault on the town.

“These young people, they want to fight”, he said. “We are trying to control them”.

One Bani Walid resident, who requested to remain anonymous, claimed that government forces had used Grad rockets and howitzers against the city, but this has not been confirmed.

When the Libya Herald visited Bir Dufan on Thursday, commanders insisted they had no artillery and refused to give specifics about other types of weapons at their disposal. However, some soldiers at the camp said that they had five Grad multiple rocket launchers stationed further down the road towards Bani Walid.

This latest round of clashes come six days after fighting in the same area resulted in at least one fatality on the Bani Walid side and several injuries.

In that instance, it is said that fighters from the town moved towards the Bir Dufan front line and that forces had been dispatched to intercept them.

Several thousand government-controlled soldiers continue to surround Bani Walid at four separate locations.

A deadline for the town to surrender those responsible for the capture, shooting and alleged torture of Omran Shaban, the Misratan revolutionary credited with first discovering Muammar Qaddafi last October in Sirte, expires on 10 October. Shaban died in a hospital in Paris on 25 September.

The original deadline of 5 October was extended after an intervention by National Congress President Mohamed Magarief calling for more time to enable a peaceful resolution to the crisis.

Congress has authorised the ministries of defence and interior to use all necessary measures, including the use of force, if the suspects are not handed over by that time. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Sudanese doctors in Obari

Egyptians fail to rescue Bani Walid compatriots

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.