No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi on the verge of death

byMichel Cousins
April 19, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi on the verge of death

This TV grab taken on August 31, 2009 from the Channel Four news website shows Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi in his hospital bed in Tripoli on August 30, 2009. (Photo: AFP/Getty Images)

By Nafissa Assed.

Tripoli, 18 April:

Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi, the convicted Lockerbie bomber, is said . . .[restrict]to be near the end of his life.  His family reports that he is now in a coma.

This TV grab from the Channel Four news website shows Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi in his hospital bed in Tripoli on August 30, 2009. (Photo: AFP/Getty Images)

The decision caused a great deal of anger in the UK and in the US — and it has not abated.

Libyan doctors say they have kept him alive with a brand-new hormone-based cancer drug called Abiraterone. This drug wasn’t even available in the UK where it was developed at the time he was released, but it had been hugely successful in clinical trials.  Although it is been almost three years since he was released, Al-Megrahi is still breathing but he is barely alive at the moment. His son Khlaled said last week: “My father is on his last breath.”

RELATED POSTS

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

A close relative of Al-Megrahi told Libya Herald today that Al-Megrahi was rushed to Tripoli Medical Centre hospital last Wednesday, 11 April, after he fell unconscious and went into a coma. He spent three days at the hospital, receiving a blood transfusion, but the doctors released him yesterday and confirmed to the family that his health conditions are worsening quickly and his days are numbered. “Even if he is still breathing, he is clinically dead,” the doctors at the center told his family.

Al-Megrahi not only suffers from prostate cancer, he is also diabetic and has serious blood pressure issues, which are extra factors to his state of  health. That was the reason, his family said, why he kept falling in and out of coma at his house in Tripoli.  Last Saturday, 15 April, his family Tripoli was reported saying that they didn’t think he would make it next time.

Libya Herald phoned another close member of his family today, asking if it were possible to see  him, but he reported: “His doctors insist that no visitors be allowed into his room anymore; even his sons or any other family member cannot go to his room, due to his terribly weak immune system. His sons and family members only greet him through the window of his room”.

Al-Megrahi has been totally unconscious for over a week now —since last Wednesday, the day he was last hospitalised. His relative said: “He never stayed unconscious for that long”.

According to the family members, Al-Megrahi is being taken care of by his sister and his wife. They are the only two people who go into his room to feed and take care of him.  When he has been and hospitalized, one of his brothers stays with him. His family says it has refused to have any private nursing care at home for him.

Tweet
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Lufthansa increases flights to Tripoli

Sirte passport office works on, despite problems

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.