Despite the growing presence of Libyan forces in the south-eastern town of Kufra, there were fresh clashes there on Friday according . . .[restrict]to local sources.
On Thursday, it was said that over 130 people had died so far on the ethnic violence between the Zway tribe and local Tebus that began almost two weeks ago.
Meanwhile, a Tebu source in Sebha phoned Libya Herald to claim that four Tebus who had travelled to Tripoli with a number of their wounded colleagues for treatment had been arrested after they arrived.
There is no confirmation of the claim.
The International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva said on Friday that it had so far evacuated 28 wounded people from Kufra with the help of the Libyan ministries of health and defence. Twenty of them, mostly Tebus, were flown to hospital in Tripoli on Friday.
The other eight wounded, mostly Tebus, were flown by the ICRC to Benghazi.
As before, both sides blame each other for the renewed fighting.
“The Tebu looted some houses and stole cars, we had to defend ourselves,” Adelbari Idriss, a security official from the Zway tribe, is quoted by agencies saying. “The army hasn’t done anything.”
Tebu sources in Kufra said it was they who had come under attack. [/restrict]