No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

An open border at Ghat

byMichel Cousins
December 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
An open border at Ghat

The border post at Ghat (photo: Libya Herald

By Mustafa Khalifa.

The border post at Ghat (photo: Libya Herald
The border post at Ghat (Photo: Libya Herald)

Ghat, 20 December 2015:

The Algerian-Libyan border crossing near the desert oasis town of Ghat, in Libya’s deep south is officially . . .[restrict]closed, at least from the Algerian side. Along with the crossing near Ghadames, the Algerians shut it in April for security reasons. It was then officially reopened in summer but again closed  last month after a deadly bomb attack on a hotel in the Malian capital, Bamako. In reality, as the Libya Herald found out, it is open but there are no controls on the Libyan side on who enters or leaves.

The border post on the Libya side is located at Essien, some 17 kilometres from Ghat. With a sand track road and not much more than a half a dozen or so portacabin-type buildings plus a overhead metal roof to provide some shade in the sun’s scorching heat, it feels and looks that it is in the middle of nowhere.

On the day this newspaper visited, there were five men stationed there, belonging to 401 battalion of the Libyan National Army. They do not have much to do most of the time. With the Algerians letting few people in, apart from Algerian citizens, there was not much traffic. But while they may not have had much in the way of work they were not short of complaints. They said that they had not been paid from more than a year, that they only had one vehicle between them, that they did not have any up-to-date communications equipment and that there was no military or logistical support.  They said they felt they had been forgotten.

RELATED POSTS

Oil Minister Aoun holds meetings with Qatari and Algerian Ministers of Energy

Ministry of Local Government participates in the One Health Conference in Algeria

While talking to them, two vehicles drove in from the Algerian side. There was no attempt to inspect them or stamp passports of other document.

What about illegal immigrants or terrorists, the Libya Herald asked.

“Anyone who wants to enter Libya or leave can do so,” said one of the guards. “We can’t stop them.” There was, however, liaison with the Algerians on the other side, he said but did not explain the extent of it.

He gave the clear impression, though, that there was no concern about who entered Libya, be they members of the so-called Islamic State or migrants heading for the coast and a boat to Europe. [/restrict]

Tags: algeriafeaturedGhatLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Libyan divisions continue over Skhirat agreement: National Front come out against, Muslim Brotherhood in favour

Libyan divisions continue over Skhirat agreement: National Front come out against, Muslim Brotherhood in favour

UNSMIL checks out Tripoli security for new Serraj government

UNSMIL checks out Tripoli security for new Serraj government

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.