No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Jufra airbase attacked by Egyptian planes as Presidency Council condemns Derna bombing

byMichel Cousins
May 29, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Alexandria, 27 May 2017:

Jufra airbase came under attack twice today ­– early in the morning and then this evening – by planes believed to belong to the Egyptian airforce. As well as the base itself, held by Misratan forces plus members of the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB), a nearby headquarters of a separate Misratan unit is also said to have been hit. At one point the explosions were reported being very loud, suggesting that an ammunitions depot had been hit.

There are also unconfirmed reports of buildings in nearby Houn and Waddan being hit, including the municipal buildings in Houn.

So far there is no news of casualties.

RELATED POSTS

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

Libya’s Derna flood response cost lives – independent investigation needed: HRW

The attacks follow those by the Egyptian air force on Derna yesterday.

There were six airstrikes on the Islamist-controlled town, supposedly in retaliation for the latest massacre of Egyptian Christians earlier in the day. The slaughter of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya province was claimed by the so-called Islamic State, although Derna is controlled by the pro-Al-Qaeda Mujahedeen Shoura Council which fought against IS and managed to expel it from the town in mid-2015.

The Egyptian authorities, however, have claimed that Al-Qaeda was behind the Minya massacre and that there were links between the killers and militants in Derna. In fact, a number of Egyptian mujahideen are reportedly based in Derna.

In contrast to the House of Representatives’ support for the Egyptian action, the airstrikes were today condemned by the Presidency Council (PC) as a violation of Libya’s sovereignty. In a statement, it said the attacks had been done “without coordination with the legitimate authorities” of the UN-backed government.

It added that while it was keen to cooperate with countries in the war on terror,  the Egyptian strikes had had “no justification” whatsoever.

The PC did, however, denounce the Minya attack, but added that it looked forward to future cooperation with international partners who targeted “the forces of evil,” while still respecting Libya’s national sovereignty.

The PC’s condemnation of the Derna airstrikes followed one by Prince Idris Abdullah Abed Al-Senussi.

 

Tags: DernaHounJufraLibyaWaddan

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Turkey urges for ceasefire and peace in Tripoli

Tebu-Tuareg peace deal finally activated in Obari

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.