No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“Final assault” due on IS in Sirte

byNigel Ash
August 8, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
“Final assault” due on IS in Sirte

A command meeting ahead of the "final assault" of IS in Sirte (Photo: Bunyan Marsous)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A command meeting ahead of the "final assault" of IS in Sirte (Photo: Bunyan Marsous)
A command planning meeting ahead of the “final assault” of IS in Sirte (Photo: Bunyan Marsous)

Tripoli, 7 August 2016:

There are reported to have been four further US airstrikes on IS positions in Sirte today though the Bunyan Marsous media office has not confirmed the raids  The attacks once again apparently targeted sniper positions.

Sources close to the operation were denying that any BM fighters had been killed or injured in the attacks.

The key point being made in Misrata and Tripoli has been that the drive the destroy IS terrorists trapped inside Sirte was entering its final stage.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

“The countdown to the final stage of the military operations against Daesh has begun,” a BM statement said today, adding “The operation’s leaders held intensive meetings to prepare for the final and decisive battles to eradicate the Daesh [IS] gang from the city of Sirte”

There has been speculation that the US airstrikes have so far been aimed at knocking out enemy positions away from the main terrorist redoubt in the Ouagadougou Centre. Once IS fighter have been driven back to the centre itself, is being assumed that it will be subjected to devastating attacks.

The US intervention, widely reported to be assisted in targeting by UK special forces on the ground with BM fighters, comes at a time when the dead and injured among the predominantly Misratan militiamen has reached disturbing levels. On 31 July Misrata Hospital said that 340 men had been killed and 1,600 wounded in the assault.  However other medical sources have said that the number of dead and injured is in fact higher but they gave no precise figure.

Tags: Bunyan MarsousfeaturedISLibyaMisrataSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Bodies stored in car park as Benghazi morgues are full

Bodies stored in car park as Benghazi morgues are full

HoR's Shouaib leads delegation to Cairo

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.